2001 S600 still safe to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grgibson

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently inherited a 2001 Scubapro s600. Im not sure what the first stage is as it is not marked. It looks like it was purchased, used a couple times and then put in the closet. It looks like its in great shape. However I am skeptical about using a 15 year old regulator. If I get it serviced and it passes is it still reliable and safe to use?
20160804_105639.jpg

Looks like first generation Mk25 with S600, it is a great regulator. I call first dibs if you decide to sell it! Call your local Scubapro shop and ask for service costs to get it dive ready. Prices vary from shop to shop. I have the same reg and my backup is MK25 with X650.

I have that model as a backup and an G250V as my primary. This stuff will last for years if you take care of it. Get it serviced and dive it

I service those types of regulators all the time. They still work very well & tend to adjust much easier than the newer models. The modern service kits work with them & they work just as well as the newer models. I would have no fear using it, after getting it serviced. May need a DIN adapter, if you are going to use it on yoke style valves.

Thank you everyone for the information. I think I will hang on to it until I can afford to Purchase another Scubapro or Atomic (tough decision) and use this one as a backup.

Last edited:
There are regulators that are more than 50 years that are still safe to use. Regardless of what many dive $hops say, age has nothing to do with the safety of a regulator. As long as they have been serviced and maintained in good condition many old regulators are just as good as new ones and some would argue they are even better.
The one you have is an excellent regulator and if it is maintained properly it will last a lifetime or longer as long as service parts are available.

After servicing...you will have a great back-up reg. It would even surprise me if you end up using it as a primary. If you buy your own tanks, get them with "convertible" Pro-Valves. There is a simple insert to convert it from DIN & Yoke.

XSSPV.jpg.png

It looks new. Buy a 20 dollar IP gauge and check the pressure. If it drops a little on the inhalation and then goes back up and doesn't creep it may not need a service. Just an inspection to check the condition of the hose o rings and second stage adjustment. If you do take it in for a service ask to watch what they do and make sure you get the old parts back. The reg is way out of warranty and you are going to have to pay for parts and labor. No need for them to keep them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom