26lb or 30lb wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem I see is new divers being swayed by some of the key people on Scubaboard that advocate these small capacity wings. Comparing apples to apples we are only talking about a couple of inches between a DSS 20 or 30 or an Oxycheq 18 or 30. The larger wing is far more versatile. Most people would think Miami is tropical diving but depending on the season the exposure protection can run from a rash guard to a 5 mil easy. If your diving deep or get chilled easy a 7 mil is not out of the question. A small wing would not compensate for a thicker wetsuit. What if you wanted to dive in a spring where the exposure protection is thicker and the water less buoyant?

I do not understand why these self-appointed experts want to trade off versatility for a unnoticeable reduction in drag and supposedly easier venting.

I always thought people get a 30 or 40 for the first wing, and then add the other sizes. Small and the really big one to use as appropriate.

Single HP100 with a skin and full foot fins for me only requires a small wing, no bladder preferred. If I start adding gear then is the next size up. But why have a modular set up and not take advantage of its modularity?

But why have a modular set up and not take advantage of its modularity?

Modularity for BP/W really over hyped. The main advantage is when something breaks you can replace it cheaply and easily rather than trashing the entire unit like on a BC. Once you start getting into specialized cold water rigs, travel rigs and doubles rigs, most people set up a completely new rig rather than swap parts.

Ok I guess I didn't get that memo.
I don't change my set up a lot, but only because I got sick of dealing with cold water and dry suits.
Until then I had the heavy plate for the trilam suit, with big tank and big wing, then the other plate (normal weight I guess) with other dry suit (that supposedly felt like a wet suit), and big tank big wing.
Redo again for 5mm, hood and the works... all the way down to skin and smaller tank.

So we have pages and pages of posts splitting hairs about theoretical issues that most of the times are difficult to measure, regardless of how many digits a calculator spits but the bp/w configuration stays the same for all their diving?

wow, the virtual space IS amazing.

For most diving and most individuals a 30 lb wing will work fine. If the rig is balanced then the wing only needs to compensate for changes in suit buoyancy and have the ability to float the rig on the surface. I do not see a clear benefit of needing a smaller wing for tropical diving. Yet there are many on SB that do. My original point is that they make the newbies afraid of buying a wing that is "too large".

I don't know what you mean when you are talking about "big tank" wings. Currently the largest single tank wing on the market is 40 lbs. A decade ago people were using doubles wings for singles and some manufacturers made "combo" wings for both singles and doubles. In fact I think Dive Rite still does. These type of wings had lift into the 60 lb range if I remember correctly.

People argue on here over everything. Din vs Yoke, Air 2s, pony tanks, solo diving. You name it and people with argue over it.

I do have a small wing / soft plate for traveling to warm water dive destinations. For diving these sites, IMO there is no real difference between the normal wing and the small one, both get the job done. Personally, I would actually prefer to dive the big wing (SS plate vs soft plate). However, there is a big difference packing for the air travel required to get to warm water and toting the gear around when I am not diving out of the back of a car. That drives the smaller rig for me.

Back
Top Bottom