2nd stage necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the exact method that Saxplayer posted, using 1/8" black shock cord. Never had it come loose unless I wanted it to. The nice thing is I can toss an extra one in my save a dive, and swap it out if something happens to my main one in about 10 seconds without any tools.

If you wish, you can make your own regulator necklace. Tie a knot in each end of the desired length of 1/8" diameter bungie cord, then burn the ends of the cord to keep it from unraveling. Cut and remove the cable-tie holding your second stage mouthpiece (take care not to cut your mouthpiece), lay the ends of the bungie cord along both sides of the mouthpiece and then secure with a new cable-tie and trim.

I've seen two ways how to make your own ...

1. Cut and remove the cable-tie holding your second stage mouthpiece, lay the ends of the bungie cord along both sides of the mouthpiece and then secure with a new cable-tie and trim

2. tie 2 knots and create small closed loop - basically the necklace looks like big loop (goes around your neck) and small loop (goes over mouthpiece and sits on top of cable-tie)

a. which one is better?

I don't know which is better yet. I always did 1 (the variation using 2 zip ties already mentioned) but I'm switching to method 2 this year- for no reason in particular. I'm sure I'll have an opinion in a few months. :D

2. tie 2 knots and create small closed loop - basically the necklace looks like big loop (goes around your neck) and small loop (goes over mouthpiece and sits on top of cable-tie)

The know you want is known as a double fisherman's knot. Works great with 1/8" bungie cord.

I have had it come off accidentally once maybe twice while kitting up. Never under water.

I like the new commercially available soft silicone necklace. They're cleaner (no knots, no zip-ties), reliably hold the reg and release it easily with a tug if & when you need to disconnect it from the necklace.

MNTRN.jpg

And I still use old speargun rubbers secured with a second ziptie at the base of the mouthpiece - secure but easily yanked free if needed.

sgb.jpg

Rick

Reactions: Jax
Those commercially available ones are the worst of the examples shown on this thread. They are way too long, and the reg pops out FAR too easily. The backup needs to be held close to the chin so it doesn't drag in the dirt if you're close to the bottom and so its not in the propwash of a scooter.

When you need your backup, you need it in the same place every time. Any configuration that can compromise that is substandard. Having the bungee (which lasts longer than surgical tubing) under the mouthpiece zip tie is the most secure method. I used to use the fisherman's knot method but switched to the zip tie style after having it pop out.

I like the new commercially available soft silicone necklace. They're cleaner (no knots, no zip-ties), reliably hold the reg and release it easily with a tug if & when you need to disconnect it from the necklace.

Those commercially available ones are the worst of the examples shown on this thread. They are way too long, and the reg pops out FAR too easily. The backup needs to be held close to the chin so it doesn't drag in the dirt if you're close to the bottom and so its not in the propwash of a scooter.

I have to agree and disagree with both of you.

Try different brands of these things.

They are all not the same length. They do not hold your regulator consistently (some are more secure than others).

I stumbled across one by Hollis that is just about the perfect length and it takes a good tug, a good tug, to remove it.

If I were into cave diving and trying to push through some real tight restriction, it may not hold tight enough. Never done it, so don't know.

I've been pulled behind a boat doing 3 knots with it one and no issue. I imagine a scooter wouldn't be any worse.

If I lost or broke that Hollis one, I'd go back to Option 2 and start looking again.

I use surgical tubing w/ zip ties and use option #2. It has never popped out in 6 years of diving, but I can easily remove it when I want to.

I like knowing with sufficient force I can rip the noose around my neck myself. I could also bite thru it. Cant do that with cord... and I know that on a giant stride if my hose got hooked up somewhere it will not hut me.

#1 is better, more secure, cable ties are cheap, I want my necklace to stay put and be where I expect it

I do the same thing. I do tie knots in the ends of the bungee before I cable tie it down though to make it more secure. I do not want that one to go anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom