3 divers missing off of Java

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it were a strong downcurrent that caused this disappearance, there isn’t any technology that you have for rescue that can aid in that. If it is strong enough that you can’t even get to the surface by swimming upwards with a fully inflated BC, the divers are likely panicking and therefore increasing air consumption. It will create an issue if it is sustained and when they run out of air........we’ll, it’s not good. I have felt down current before but it’s usually close to the reef and in an emergency like that I would start rock climbing the reef but if there’s nothing nearby or they are in the blue and disoriented there is only so much that can be done.

I can't say that I'm an expert with down currents, but I would say I'm fairly experienced. I encounter 6- 10 per year. Most are annoyances, perhaps once every 2 years a big one gets the heart rate going.

Unfortunately most articles on down currents and the way to survive, are nonsense. Clearly written by persons who've never been in one. (Perhaps I should put together some text for someone to turn into a polished article?)

In the case you highlight, with a down current on a reef, you're absolutely correct, in that it's wise to climb out. For that reason I always carry a SS muck stick on my wrist (aluminum ones aren't potentially strong enough). At the first sign, poke it into a hole, stabilise yourself, and then inflate and climb out (diagonally)

People say to swim away from the reef. I say, good luck with that. You don't know how bigger area the down current covers and if you don't have a hard bottom you can be going down a long way

I once got blown down from 25m to 50m ish before I could stop myself. The sand was another 50m below me.

If you are in blue water, then your options are limited to inflating and fining hard horizontally (pick any direction) Diving in such locations requires a decent set of fins to enable you to kick hard, Also you need the fitness to do so for 100m.

I always have my computer alarms on, the ascent warning can be the only indication you're going up as it's easy to become disoriented or get tunnel vision.

Being aware of the area and importantly altering your gas plan for added contingency on that dive. I generally dive 15l steels filled to 230bar. I end the dives generally at 90bar and my consumption is around 13l/min.

When it's all going a bit crazy, I've surfaced with only 20bar after less less than 45 mins underwater, and my consumption has more than doubled. My worst case was that my 15l and my Al 40 pony were almost sucked dry.

An unfit diver working hard in current and being "excited/panic" is going to suck through gas at an alarming rate - I've seen that before had had to donate gas.

Leaving depth with min contents in an Al 80 and then getting smacked by a current is a recipe for disaster.

I can't say there are many tell tales. Fish sheltering or working hard trying to swim upwards is a good one. Fast changes in water temp not so much. With a sudden hit of cold water more often than not there is no down current, but occasionally there is.

My personal favourite (not) is watching my dsmb launch and head to the surface at a 45 degree angle because of current (quite normal) then it stops going up and starts to come down (bad, very bad) this is normally accompanied with lots of profanities through my reg as I prepare for a ride.

Hopefully you won't encounter a proper down current - always a risk in Indo though

My personal favourite (not) is watching my dsmb launch and head to the surface at a 45 degree angle because of current (quite normal) then it stops going up and starts to come down (bad, very bad) this is normally accompanied with lots of profanities through my reg as I prepare for a ride.
Hopefully you have a lot of line. I carry 60m for recreational dives and that can be barely sufficient.

Hopefully you have a lot of line. I carry 60m for recreational dives and that can be barely sufficient.

It depends on the dive, my go to is an Apex 60m spool or my 45m one. I have a 150m Kent tooling reel when I'm on a scooter and if that's not enough I really am in deep do do.

I have almost emptied my 45m spool when sat at just 10m as the dsmb got caught by a surface current. That was mildly entertaining.

Basarnas to extend search for three missing Chinese divers

BaSARNas extend the search till today (2nd extention), but it doesn't sound successful.

"....According to the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas), the water is supposedly safe for diving due to its shallow depth of 15 to 30 meters. However, upon diving, the tides became intense and swept them out to sea...." This statement does not seem to indicate down current. It sounds more like under current, where divers would be able to ascent to the surface easier than in a down current situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom