30 Cars found in Florida Lake - possibly from '80s cocaine wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding Decomposition underwater:

Robert Heikka was missing 2.5 years, driver window open, he was in the back seat, flesh intact, a Deputy commented "That's my 6th grade teacher, he still has the same haircut." Surprised how long the remains lasted.

Bob Helphrey was gone 17 years, we found full skeletal remains.

We recovered skeletal remains 2 Saturdays ago near Miami that we believe will be tied to a 31yr cold case. I found the skull & ribcage, stopped there and secured the scene, brought a line from the steering wheel to the surface marker buoy. All bones intact in the silt below the upside down driver's wheel.

Karen Moore was found by my partner in January in Davie, first some finger bones in the trunk, then the top half skeletal remains over the courseof 3 weeks. I found additional remains of lower vertebrae & pelvis believed to be connected to her case 2 weeks ago as well. Preservation was good in the mud. DNA is pending.

Also recently found a 2nd car buried 100%, via metal detector on another case at the request of local law enforcement detectives.

We're going back out tomorrow searching for a 13 month cold case.

You have a fun job indeed. (Sorry, I couldn't help it :) )

Pretty great read.

I've only been involved in one search and recovery attempt. It was pretty interesting, 70' deep, pitch black, 44F. All volunteer. If the body was found (we did not) it had to be marked. We couldn't do anything with it because at that point it would have been a crime scene and gets turned over to DNR.

Thankfully for the family he eventually did surface a few months later.

Appreciate what you do.. my one day was exhausting, couldn't imagine doing it all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom