3D interactive underwater maps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephan80

New
Reaction score
Hi,

i've heard of a new company, who wants to generate 3d interactive maps for popular dive sites all over the world based on high resolution bathymetric data. personally, i find its a good idea, because there could be a huge amout of application for dive centers and the internet dive-community. what do you think about this idea?

That would be pretty rad! I'd like to see a demo...

spankey:
if someone arranges funds, I will gladly do this :)

Precisely. I wrote out a design for one of the more popular dives sites, "The Front Yard" in Roatan. There was a great interest from divers as well as those who habituate CoCoChat.

The design had defined limits or parameters, not "infinite", but it showed the underwater terrain of the most common parts of the shore dive: the man-made landmarks including the 140' Prince Albert Wreck, the DC3 aircraft wreck, the three chained buoys, the anchor chain from the wreck to the shore, and buoyancy course diamonds- all from the shoreline to about 65fsw.

You could ask for daylight, changeover or night dive. There were random encounters as well as those earned by careful and slow observation. You could "file" a dive plan, or just wander about. You got pinged for blowing your ascent rate or exceeding your air supply. It asked about what lens you were using (macro or wide) and you "gained points" by "photographing" the different critters that you encountered. Of course, if you have a micro lens set up, ideal for Roatan, it always made sure you saw the Whale Shark.

It was quoted out at about $15,000.

:rofl3:

bathymetric data

University of Hawaii just finished a huge mapping progect of the Pacific Rim. I keep searching for it, because I hear it is public domain and on the internet.

I love maps.....Google Earth! I can see the topography of the reefs below my house.
Wish I understood the satellite feed better.

Interactive, huh? With what type of information?
Guess the Divemaster mapping projects just got a whole lot easier.

catherine96821:
Wish I understood the satellite feed better..

Common misconception. It is not a real time, live image. These public domain images are "older" fairly low res images that have been replaced in pay-as-you-look databases by more recent, higher def images.

Certain systems provide different images from satellite passes many months apart depending upon how "close" you zoom in on your fly over... you can watch buildings disappear and other oddities.

It's all just a frozen moment in time.

Stephan80:
Hi,

i've heard of a new company, who wants to generate 3d interactive maps for popular dive sites all over the world based on high resolution bathymetric data. personally, i find its a good idea, because there could be a huge amout of application for dive centers and the internet dive-community. what do you think about this idea?

Interesting idea, whats the name of the company?

Otter:
Interesting idea, whats the name of the company?

Could it be:

:quote:Russian Diving Simulator game
There are simulators for just about everything, but not much for divers. Russian software developer Biart is changing that with "Diver: Deep Water Adventures," a PC-based 3D scuba diving simulator. To start out, you buy scuba gear (yes, I was able to recreate my entire ScubaPro outfit!), go for dive training, then go dive. There's a story line with all sorts of adventures. The training takes place in the NEMO33 facility with its deep 115 feet pit and training caves. Then it's on to wrecks, recovery missions, dangerous encounters and so on. The game was done by divers, so it is plenty realistic (there's also a more forgiving arcade mode), but don't expect great polish, and the English needs major work. If nothing else, check out the free Deep Water Adventures demo downloads! -- Posted Tuesday, February 13, 2007 by chb:quote:

at http://www.diver3d.com/ :confused:

catherine96821:
Interactive, huh? With what type of information?
Guess the Divemaster mapping projects just got a whole lot easier.

Interactive means, that you can move through a virtual underwater world which is based on a real dive-site. So you have another tool to plan dives more exactly and you can share it with other people in the internet, for example.

This company who is trying to do this is located in Germany, where i live. I've read about them in a local newspaper. They've got really innovating ideas.

stephan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom