3mm wetsuit under TLS drysuit - wonderful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I know this sounds strange, but I just dove my DUI TLS w/ a 3mm wetsuit as an undergarment and had the MOST comfortable dive I've ever had. Warm, did not feel ANY sqeeze (down to 30') and never hit my inflator once, freedom of movement was spectacular because friction was reduced 80%. A flood might be even easier to handle? Is anyone else diving like this? Thank you.

I have a friend who had a very leaky Viking, and wore his surfing 3mm under it for awhile. Said it was nice. I've pondered the same thing. Though hopefully without the leaking drysuit part.

Water temp approx 67, still relatively warm, but me - I get chilly VERY easily (hypothyroid condition). The thing I hate about trilam, but love about neoprene is the squeeze factor comfort level. I saw somewhere that Viking once made a neoprene undergarment covered in cloth for an older model rubber dry suit....hmmm...

kidspot:
what was the water temp like? I've wondered if folks have tried that ...

This is fascinating . . . I thought about doing the same thing but the folks at the LDS strongly discouraged it, although I'm not sure I understand why. 3mm neoprene CAN'T be any more buoyant that three layers of Polarfleece, or a Weezle . . . but I wonder just how it would compare for warmth. Our water is considerably colder (54 degrees).

It makes sense to me. It's good insulation and won't soak like other undergarments will when a flood happens to you.

I'm sure the research in freezing water says different, but who needs wicking?
The water is most likely going to squeeze 50% of your body and wicked sweat is now matted to your body anyway (re-cirulated wicking?). The only dry part is your air bubble - which isnt in your legs because you have gators & rock boots on. Why not use sweat to ones advantage w/ a wetsuit underneath? Perhaps even throw a very cheap thin fleece over it?

Randy43068:
It makes sense to me. It's good insulation and won't soak like other undergarments will when a flood happens to you.

FFMDiver:
The water is most likely going to squeeze 50% of your body and wicked sweat is now matted to your body anyway (re-cirulated wicking?). The only dry part is your air bubble - which isnt in your legs because you have gators & rock boots on. Why not use sweat to ones advantage w/ a wetsuit underneath? Perhaps even throw a very cheap thin fleece over it?
I refuse to get fleeced by some weasle

I've used a 3mm under leaking drysuits. It worked ok, but it's a little restrictive. Also it's not nearly as nice as traditional undergarments when your outside in cold temps gearing up.

Paul

FFMDiver:

When it comes to using a drysuit, wicking is VERY important. Trust me, you WILL sweat under that wetsuit and because there is nowhere for the moisture to go, you WILL feel cold.

BTW, you don't have to spend a fortune on fancy undergarments to get the right mix of wicking & loft; you just need to do your homework.

Dump the wetsuit. It adds buoyancy and doesn't keep you warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom