3rd (or is this the 4th) Annual Venice Beach Turkey Fry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive4funOften:
The best thing to do with the turkey is to get a 15 - 20 lbs turkey. too big and the peanut oil just bubbles over. The turkey has always been a big hit. If you need anything else in reference to the turkey just let me know.

We do this every year at work for Thanksgiving and Christmas.The easiest way is to put the turkey in the fryer while the fyer is empty.Fill the fryer with water until the Turkey is submerged.Remove the Turkey and mark the level of remaining water.Remove the water and dry out the fryer.Refill to the line with peanut oil.Heat and you are good to go.

Posted by 3ddiver
I think a 20 lb turkey is too big, I think the outside will get too done before the inside. I have always been told 12-15 but have never tried a bigger one.

3ddiver,
The size does not really matter as long as it fits in the fryer safely.The only real difference is the length of time it takes to cook.
Bigger the turkey the longer it takes.
Smaller the turkey the less it takes.

Dude, I want to take a moment to acknowledge you for stepping up and creating this! Thank you!!

rebelmandziukan:
I have negotiated on behalf of all scubaboard members with the Island Breeze Inn for a special rate for the weekend of our turkeydive. for the low price of $80 per night(normally $100) you too can book a room. This place is very close to alhambra very clean very quiet. They have a small pool.the managers name is victor and when you call to book make sure you mention scubaboard.com and you are a member to get the discount. (941)488-4417. www.IslandBreezeInn.com I already booked my room for friday and saturday

This Rocks!!! Unfortunately, there may not be a spot when I an reserve my weekend. Do you pay the full amount up front or is it just an NRD? I looked at their site. Very nice!

call and make a reservation i think there is a small deposit but when i booked our room the manager just sayed to pay when i check in. your welcome collin. It was the least i could do for all my friends here.

The kids and I will be there. I don't know what we'll bring yet.

Man you guys got this cajuns mouth watering. Wish I could be there.

And I am dying to make the dive...I will in December and will be picking your minds for tips till then.

Hint you will probably be much happier frying two twelve pound birds rather than one big one. Just a hint...I've done this a time or two.

t

Walter:
Judging from past events - two twelve pound birds won't be enough.
Three?

Seriously i dont know how many were used in previous events, but i thought only 1 each time. I dont know if we ran out either. However, we will be there for most of the day and have the gas and fryer ready. I assume we can reuse the same oil for each bird. What do we do with the cooked birds while the next is going - i dont recall how long it took to cook them before.

Does anyone have one of those wind breaks for cookers? I was thinking of something to keep the heat contained/directed and hopefully make the transfer to the pot more efficient than just having it open to the air, or even having the wind blow the heat away - particularly if its a really windy day!!

yep we ran out of bird fast last year

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom