4-Skills Every Advanced Open Water (AOW) Diver Must Have

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Macan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Within a standard AOW course, numerous skills are taught, yet I prioritize these top four skills as essential for every certified AOW diver. These skills form the cornerstone of my AOW training courses. The execution doesn’t have to be pretty or demo quality. The goal is not perfection. What’s important is for the diver to understand the fundamentals and practice.

In this video, you’ll see the student doing well and also making mistakes. But that’s all part of the learning process.

Regardless of your diving preferences—be it shallow reef exploration, photography, wreck diving, or beyond—mastering these foundational skills enhances both the safety and enjoyment of your dives.

I hope this helps.

The person in the video looks flexible enough that they can scratch behind their ears during back finning. Holy ****.

Is there a reason nobody goes up a bit, and floats verticle for shooting a DSMB? (Assuming single tank open water, not doubles that prefer trimmed or turtle)

Seems a ton easier that way, especially looking around so I don't shoot it at the boat.

Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

Is there a reason nobody goes up a bit, and floats verticle for shooting a DSMB? (Assuming single tank open water, not doubles that prefer trimmed or turtle)

Seems a ton easier that way, especially looking around so I don't shoot it at the boat.
I wonder this too.

Within a standard AOW course, numerous skills are taught, yet I prioritize these top four skills as essential for every certified AOW diver. These skills form the cornerstone of my AOW training courses. The execution doesn’t have to be pretty or demo quality. The goal is not perfection. What’s important is for the diver to understand the fundamentals and practice.

In this video, you’ll see the student doing well and also making mistakes. But that’s all part of the learning process.

Regardless of your diving preferences—be it shallow reef exploration, photography, wreck diving, or beyond—mastering these foundational skills enhances both the safety and enjoyment of your dives.

I hope this helps.

In a "standard AOW course" the skills are part of the five dives....which five dives are these skills you show part of?

Cool video, I still have not learned to back kick. Is that a required skill of aow certification, now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom