.5 mm VS. 1mm VS. diveskin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fireslayer

Reaction score
HI
I have been diving for just over 1 year. So far my dives have been split between Lake Tahoe and the Carrib.
In Feb we are headed to the S. Carrib. and I am unsure how to dress. In the past, I've used my shortie and it has been a little cold,,, not too bad, but I could stand to be a little warmer.
My question is:
Does a dive skin buy you much as far as warmth?
How about .5 VS. 1 mil. I am wondering if a .5 would fit under a wet suit when I dive cold water.
I've also seen the Henderson Poly(something) and it looks like it would be a nice light suit.

I really don't think that I would need anything as thick as a 3.

I would appreciate any thoughts.
Dave

In 83 degree water, I was warm in just a swimsuit, and my 3mm shorty was fine.

That said, I switched to my 3/2 full suit and I was never hot in the water.

Many of the local DMs were diving 5mm and even 7mm in the same water, because they dove every.

If you are diving more, thicker protection will probably mean having more fun.

Xanthro

fireslayer:
HI
I have been diving for just over 1 year. So far my dives have been split between Lake Tahoe and the Carrib.
In Feb we are headed to the S. Carrib. and I am unsure how to dress. In the past, I've used my shortie and it has been a little cold,,, not too bad, but I could stand to be a little warmer.
My question is:
Does a dive skin buy you much as far as warmth?
How about .5 VS. 1 mil. I am wondering if a .5 would fit under a wet suit when I dive cold water.
I've also seen the Henderson Poly(something) and it looks like it would be a nice light suit.

I really don't think that I would need anything as thick as a 3.

I would appreciate any thoughts.
Dave
Do yourself a favor get a 3mm or a 3/2 you will be happy in the long run..
Try on more than one suit (every manufacturer cuts suits differently) and get one that fits right..

I have a fully custom 3mm suit (if it wasn't for my position in ANDI it would have run almost $800- after using it for a season I wouldn;t have been disappointed even if I paid that much) that I have used in water as warm as 92f and didn't overheat, and have used it as cool as 70f so far. I do alot of long exposures so for me a wetsuit is a must even in warm water, you are much happier when you are warm..

fireslayer:

Summer time any of the above wood be fine. It may be a little cooler in February. I just got back from a trip to Costa Rica. Surface temp was 83, bottom was 80. I was in a shorty and got pretty cold during the second dive. I was wishing I had my 3 mil. You can pick one up for under a $100. If fit is an issue, look into a 3 mil hyperstretch.

What about the Sharkskins Poly 1.5 mil suits? They sound interesting, and 1.5 doesn't appear to be too thick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom