Trying to figure out which (Bare) suit combination to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karlovsky120

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've just recently returned from a few dives. I've dived in a rented Cressi Diver 7mm suit, their 3.5mm gloves and some booties, I'm unsure of the brand/thickness.
I've been to Adriatic coast where sea temperatures have been quite high recently, about 26C when I was diving. I went down to 30m, below the thermocline, where the temperature was about 16C.
I've felt comfortable in the suit both near the surface and down below. I don't think I spent more than 15min below the thermocline, so I might not have felt the full effect of the temperature.

I'm now looking to buy my own suit with gloves and booties. I'd like to be able get myself a wetsuit that I could use during the summer without getting hot in it and for as long as possible towards winter (I'm not diving in a drysuit just yet). I'm not sure if Cressi I dove in would cut it if it gets colder, and I'm unsure how durable it is.
The brand I've been looking at is Bare. They seem to have three choices of suits: Reactive, Velocity ultra and Revel. From what I've gathered it all boils down to how warm each of the suits is. I was thinking about getting a 7mm suit since I don't seem to be getting hot in it during the hottest months here, but I suspect that the Bare suits are going to be a lot hotter than the Cressi suit I was wearing. Then again, is Bare better at managing heat? Will it keep me warmer in colder water while not making me as hot in warmer water?

Given my experience above, I just don't know which suit at which thickness to look at. Do I pick reactive at 5mm? Or velocity ultra at 7mm? Do I get a thinner suit with a simple hood for warmer and a hooded vest for colder weather?
They also have ultrawarm and S-flex hoods/vests/gloves that seem to loosly match reactive and velocity ultra suits. Which ones to go with? At what thickness?
As far as gloves go, do I go for thinner 3mm ultrawarmth gloves and count on them better retaining heat in colder water while being thin enought that I don't have to sacrifice as much dexterity?

It all costs a pretty penny and I'd hate to realize I've messed up when it's too late.
Any advice on how to get out of this conundrum?

Should I even invest as much money into a wetsuit or should I get something cheaper and replace it more often?

I have the 7mm Reactive and the 3mm Velocity

Don’t forget the buoyancy difference when you are choosing. In my size the buoyancy difference between the 3mm and the 7mm is 18lbs of lead. And that’s a $&^%# to dive.

Here is my range of temps on each…your mileage may vary.

7mm Reactive : 50-75F (10C-24C)
3mm Velocity : 70F+ (21C+)… I can push it to mid 60s (~18C) for a short period of time

Both my Reactive and the Velocity have the Omnired technology. I dove the 7mm in South Florida in ~70F (~21C) and was not over heating. But it was certainly over kill.

You might want to consider a 5mm Velocity and look to add a 5mm hood & gloves to push a few more degrees out of it

It sounds like 7mm Reactive should work in my case then (though I'm still curious about other opinions and experiences). The water at the surface is usually not higher 24C, but as soon as I pass the thermocline (which can be as shallow as 12m) it can drop below 16C. I don't mind being a little warm as long as I don't overheat.

I know it's not exactly what you asked but why are you not considering a drysuit? One of the benefits is that if you get a shell suit (bilam or trilam), it doesn't matter what the water temperature is because you can just wear more or less thick undergarments depending on the expected temperature.

If you're set on a wetsuit, you could always get a 5mm suit (21°C and over) and a 5mm hooded vest for when it's going to be around 16°C. It's a ton of neoprene but more versatile than just a single suit.

I have the 7mm Reactive and the 3mm Velocity

Don’t forget the buoyancy difference when you are choosing. In my size the buoyancy difference between the 3mm and the 7mm is 18lbs of lead. And that’s a $&^%# to dive.

Here is my range of temps on each…your mileage may vary.

7mm Reactive : 50-75F (10C-24C)
3mm Velocity : 70F+ (21C+)… I can push it to mid 60s (~18C) for a short period of time
I too have both the 7mm Reactive and the 3mm Velocity. I've been very happy with the durability, quality, and fit for both.

My experiences in temperature are the same as @quietlife4me

In my size (XL), my difference in lead is only 8lbs between the 3mm & 7mm.

I have the women's versions of the suits you're considering....7mm Bare Nixie, 5mm Bare Evoke, and 3mm Bare Evoke. I wear my 5mm in the ocean for temps from ~ 78-85, and my 7mm for anything below that (usually in the springs, which average about ~ 72). I run cold, though, and eventually need to move to a drysuit...but I love Bare, and will be sticking with them for wetsuits! I'm not sure I've ever been too warm in a wetsuit - the only reason I don't dive my 7mm in the ocean at 85 degrees is because it's a pain to put on. (I'm an outlier here!)

Fyi, I need about 4 additional pounds of lead for each increase in suit thickness (so in the ocean, that comes out to 8# for the 3mm, 12# for the 5m, 16# for the 7mm).

I have the Bare Reactive 7mm semi-dry, great suit, works for warmer dives(shallow lakes) here in Canada. For anything colder than about 16c, I wear a drysuit. When I dive in Cyprus, I dive either the 7mm or a 3mm.

My wife & I dive the Revel 5 mm, and used it in temperatures from 16 °C (61 F) with a 5 mm hood up to 26 °C (79 F). It is a great flexible fit, easier to don & doff than the reactive because it does not have the omnired lining.

I know it's not exactly what you asked but why are you not considering a drysuit? One of the benefits is that if you get a shell suit (bilam or trilam), it doesn't matter what the water temperature is because you can just wear more or less thick undergarments depending on the expected temperature.

If you're set on a wetsuit, you could always get a 5mm suit (21°C and over) and a 5mm hooded vest for when it's going to be around 16°C. It's a ton of neoprene but more versatile than just a single suit.

I intend to mostly dive in the Adriatic, perhaps a trip to tropical country or a liveaboard at some point, but I figured I'd get a separate 3mm suit for that.
Now, since the thermocline is somewhere around 10m-15m of depth, almost every dive I've been to has put me in pretty cold water (16C). The surface temperature is over 16C from around April to November. If bare is as warm as they tell, I might get an extra month on either end where I'll be able to dive. I might go for drysuit at some point down the line, but I can live with not being able to dive 3-5 months of a year for now.

Also, I'm buying my first set of gear. Currently, I'm looking at almost 4k€ to get everything (excluding a tank). Dry suit would be another 2k€ onto that, and I'm not even certified for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom