Where to try on a Bare wetsuits in southern Europe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karlovsky120

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've decided what wetsuit to get, but at price of around 600EUR, I'd really like to try it on before I buy it. I've measured myself and checked the sizing chart on the Bare website, but I'm anywhere from S to MLTALL, depending on what measurement you look at. Is there a shop somewhere near Croatia (Slovenia, Hungary, northern Italy, Austria, etc.) which keeps Bare Reactive 7mm in stock that can be tried on? I've looked through a lot of shops and only one I found is Diveshop Austria, but this seems to be the previous model (with the zipper issue).

Any advice on how to approach this?

If anyone comes across this in the future, I've sent an email directly to Bare. While it doesn't appear on their "find a store" system, Norik Sub in Ljubljana is the official Bare distributor for Slovenia and Croatia. While they don't usually have Reactive in stock to try them on, they have other 7mm Bare wetsuits that are the same size.

I found that the Bare Reactive and Bare Evoke both run a bit big. I bought the perfect size (per their size chart and taking actual measurements) for my wife and me - both ended up fitting too big.

Your experience and body type may differ.

Okay, I've driven to Ljubljana and actually tried everything on. Since I started the thread, I thought I'd leave the results here if someone my size happens to ask the same question. Note that I couldn't try Reactive since they don't have it on hand, but I tried velocity 7mm which is supposed to be the same size.

Here are my measurements, to the best of my measuring ability:
Weight : 75kg
Height: 170cm
Chest: 95cm
Waist: 85cm
Hip: 97cm
Torso: 67cm (ish)
Inseam: 77cm (I think, kind of hard to tell where to start at the shoulder)

The suit size that fit the best was MLShort. ML was too big, I had clumps of free space under my arms. I had to use some effort to wave my arms around my head in MLShort, but that just how it is in the wetsuits, right? Any smaller size would be far too small.

Palm length: 18cm
Palm circumference: 20.5cm

The glove size that fit pretty much perfectly was L, I didn't even bother trying M and XL was too large.

Neck circumference: 39cm
Forhead circumference: 58.5cm

Size M fit just about right. I can't remeber if I tried S and it was comically small or if I tried L and it was comically large.

Foot length: 25cm

Now this one is very interesting. According to their chart, 25cm is EUR 39 and size 7. The boot that fit me was size 8, (EUR40-41, supposed foot length 26cm). And I usually wear EUR42 size shoes that is their 27cm size 9. So it seems that their boot sizes are a bit larger than one might expect. But yeah, size 8 fit nicely as far as width goes with only a small amount of free space in front of my big toe.

I'm looking to get a pair of JetFins to go with the Ultrawarmth 7mm boots. Does anyone have a simliar combination, preferably in size 8? What size of JetFin did you get? I've gone through this thread and it seems like it should be either L or XL, but as usual, I'm right at the limit.

Okay, I asked Bare directly which size JetFin would they pair with size 8 ultrawarm 7mm. The response was

"Knowing the fins and our Ultrawarmth boots, I would go size L. NOT XL. Generally size 10 and up equals XL, sometimes a size 9 depending on boot and of course fin pocket design."

Just for boot size: I dive apeks rk3 in large and have a boot size 11/43 (5mm wet) and I'm guessing around a 12 (drysuit). Both fit snug but comfortably.

Just an update, I got the size L JetFins and they do NOT fit size 8 ultrawarm boots (7mm, hard sole). You can squeeze the boot in if you really try, but it's very uncomfortable. I haven't had an opportunity to try XL JetFins. I'm sure they would fit, but I'm not sure they wouldn't be too loose.

I got Aqualung superzip 5mm boots and they fit fine. I can feel my big toe slightly against the top part of the bottom of the pocket of the fin a bit when I put them on, but I don't think it will be a problem. I'll report back once I use them on a dive.

Back
Top Bottom