Good 3mm wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving in a local aquarium for 20 years and the average water temperature is around 72-74 degrees. Over the years we have been provided with numerous different brands of wet suits that were/are 3 and 5 mm. The 3mm were for guests and 5mm for staff and workers/volunteers. Of the Bare, Henderson and Pinnacol, the 5mm Pinnacle 5mm was the best, but the difference between the best and worst was not significant. What was important was how it fit me and what I was doing. Guests generally wore the 3mm (they were branded with the aquarium name) and easier to put on) for less than 30 minutes. If I wanted extra warmth, I added a hooded vest or a beanie. BTW, I'm 5-10 and weigh 155 and also wear a M. If I need to wear a 3mm for special occasions and know that I have to be in the water for longer than 30 minutes, I'll put a Large on top of my Medium and I'm warm as toast.

+1 for WaterProof and also Fourth Element.

I would definitely check out the Fourth Element suits, they are pricey but very high quality in my experience

I have a couple of 3mm suits, including a Bare Reactive. The Reactive is my favorite 3mm.

But, I haven't worn it in a few years. Now, mostly wear my Waterproof W7 5mm. It is rare that the water is too warm for me in a 5mm. I was in Cozumel 2 weeks ago. The water was 82F. I was very comfy.

And the W7 has thigh pockets! Stretchy and do not flop around or create drag when they are empty. But, perfect for carrying a backup mask or wetnotes, or a finger spool and SMB or whatever.

When the water is really warm, I go to a Wateproof Neoskin 1mm. I probably would have worn that in Coz, but I needed pockets and the W7 was more convenient than the Neoskin with pocket shorts over them.

So, I really have no real use for a 3mm anymore. The difference in packing a 5mm vs a 3mm is not significant enough for me to bother over. With gloves and a hood, I'm good in a 5mm down to at least 60F. I have done dives in a 5mm, hood, and gloves to 51F for 50 minutes. I was cold, but not freezing.

In other words, I'm pretty cold-tolerant, but I still like a 5mm for just about everything except really warm or really cold (or cold and long).

But, if you are dead set on a 3mm, the Reactive would be my top choice.

I have a very old Bare 3/2 Ignite as well as a newer Bare 5 Velocity. I had a 7MM Henderson which I retired a couple of years ago in favor of a dry suit.

There a lots of choices and everyone has a preference. Ultimately...the one that best fits you for the type of diving you will be doing is the one you will love.

Hi JDelage,

I have an older Bare 3mm that now fits my son better than me so I am looking for a new one myself. I love the fit and the warmth of the Bare wetsuits.

It looks like you are also in the Seattle area.

This morning I went into the Silent World Diving System in Bellevue, WA looking to compare the Bare Velocity Ultra to the Bare Reactive but they only carry the Reactive M-XXL in stock.

Good luck,
Patrick
FYI

I ended up selecting the Bare 3mm Velocity Ultra Full Blue - XLS Retail $339.95

I purchased it from divers-supply.com
SKU: B-002186BLU-54XLS 1 Free shipping + no sales tax = $267.95

After spending the past 10 days in Cozumel reef diving 80F water and Cenote 77F water I am very pleased with this wetsuit. I found the sizing/stretch to be generous and easy to put on / remove.

Good luck,
Patrick

I tried a bunch to find one that worked for me, I like the Aqualung as it is very flexible and easy to put on. It isn’t as prettty as a Scubapro, but it worked better for me. I mainly dive 3mm now so didn’t need a custom, but that is another option to get you what you want.

I bought a 3mm ScubaPro wetsuit last year at Eight Diving south of Seattle. I'm very happy with it, comfortable, easy to put on, and looks good.

The Bare Reactive's mighty expensive...
I've got a Sharkskin Chillproof rear zip and love it. It was $350ish.
It's plenty warm, extremely flexible, and neutrally buoyant so you can dive less weight and don't have to worry about neoprene compression w depth change. They're also machine washable.

Back
Top Bottom