Bare 3mm vs 5mm Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MtnDiverColorado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I currently have a 3mm Bare Reactive wetsuit, size ML, which I really like. From a sizing perspective, I am right in between an M and and ML. I went with the ML as in general I like my wetsuits a little roomier, knowing I am giving up some warmth. In a couple weeks, however, we are going to Kuaui, so I thought I would pick up the same wetsuit in a 5mm.

I went to our local dive shop, and was pleasantly surprised that they had one in stock, but figured I would try it on as long as I was there. It seemed significantly larger than my same size 3mm. My wife even commented that it looked baggy. They unfortunately didn't have a M to try. I did try on a M Waterproof brand wetsuit, though it seemed a bit tight through the shoulders.

After some conversation, I special ordered the Bare Reactive 5mm in a M. I find I am doubting myself a bit though, and wondering if it will be too tight. Maybe I should just go with the ML and use a Sharkskin underneath if it is too loose...

I suppose my question is, is there anybody else with experience with Bare 3mm and 5mm wetsuits.. Would it be normal for the 5mm to be a bit larger, or am I completely out of my mind?

Thanks for any input, even if it is to say I am out of my mind. Appreciated!

Hello,

I currently have a 3mm Bare Reactive wetsuit, size ML, which I really like. From a sizing perspective, I am right in between an M and and ML. I went with the ML as in general I like my wetsuits a little roomier, knowing I am giving up some warmth. In a couple weeks, however, we are going to Kuaui, so I thought I would pick up the same wetsuit in a 5mm.

I went to our local dive shop, and was pleasantly surprised that they had one in stock, but figured I would try it on as long as I was there. It seemed significantly larger than my same size 3mm. My wife even commented that it looked baggy. They unfortunately didn't have a M to try. I did try on a M Waterproof brand wetsuit, though it seemed a bit tight through the shoulders.

After some conversation, I special ordered the Bare Reactive 5mm in a M. I find I am doubting myself a bit though, and wondering if it will be too tight. Maybe I should just go with the ML and use a Sharkskin underneath if it is too loose...

I suppose my question is, is there anybody else with experience with Bare 3mm and 5mm wetsuits.. Would it be normal for the 5mm to be a bit larger, or am I completely out of my mind?

This is opposite of my experience with Bare. I have had a 7 mm and a 5 mm both in ML. I purchased a 3 mm on line in ML and it was baggy enough that I should have purchased a M. However, if you have first hand experience after trying one on, no reason to second guess it. The shop should work with you if there is a fit issue. Also, too loose becomes a problem, especially if doing multiple dives.
Know this didn’t really put you at ease with your choice, but I’m really curious to see what the outcome is.

Have a great time in Hawaii!

Erik

We are a BARE dealer. I generally either stay with the same size, or go up a size for thicker neoprene. Never have gone smaller for a thicker suit. The Reactive 5mm is a fantastic suit. If you would like, PM me with you height and weight. I know the BARE line really well and can tell you if the Medium will fit you

Thanks everyone for your help, really appreciate folks taking the time to be helpful in threads like these.

Diviedoggie, I'll shoot you a PM, thanks again!

Hello,

i will say thickness doesn't matter size will be the same.

I regularly dive Lake Superior, Vancouver Island, and Mt Lakes.(In Drysuit) It is cold water (37°-47°) but I rarely ever get cold. The coldest that I have ever been is diving off Molokai in Hawaii. The water was about 75°. Core temp is 98.6°. After a few dives, core temp starts to drop a little.

DAN published a study that shows that becoming increasingly chilled raises chances of DCS. If we can possibly start cool and get warmed during the dive, that would be ideal.

Since we can’t do that without electrically heated undergarments, it is best to stay warm throughout the dive. Maybe let some water in through the neck early on, and then keep the suit sealed as the dive goes on.

A hooded vest OVER your 3mm suit might be the ticket. The Reactive 3mm is a warm suit. This vest is my favorite accessory. Size Large to fit over your suit.

I regularly dive Lake Superior, Vancouver Island, and Mt Lakes.(In Drysuit) It is cold water (37°-47°) but I rarely ever get cold. The coldest that I have ever been is diving off Molokai in Hawaii. The water was about 75°. Core temp is 98.6°. After a few dives, core temp starts to drop a little.

DAN published a study that shows that becoming increasingly chilled raises chances of DCS. If we can possibly start cool and get warmed during the dive, that would be ideal.

Since we can’t do that without electrically heated undergarments, it is best to stay warm throughout the dive. Maybe let some water in through the neck early on, and then keep the suit sealed as the dive goes on.

A hooded vest OVER your 3mm suit might be the ticket. The Reactive 3mm is a warm suit. This vest is my favorite accessory. Size Large to fit over your suit.

wow we don't have the same definition of cold water diving in a wetsuit but its a ok ! cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom