Keeping my head warm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Msr1015

Registered
Reaction score
Hello y’all,

I’m a diver from Minnesota and am planning on diving Lake Superior this month. I will Be using a 7mm wetsuit plus hood and gloves but I was wondering the best way to keep your head warm. Normally my head starts to get cold and I get A head ache when I go below the thermocline. Other than that I’m fine. How am I supposed To keep my head warm? Even if I decided to get a dry suit, a hood is a hood correct? I wear a 7mm aqualung hood but can’t seem to keep my head warm. Any thoughts?

Hello y’all,

I’m a diver from Minnesota and am planning on diving Lake Superior this month. I will Be using a 7mm wetsuit plus hood and gloves but I was wondering the best way to keep your head warm. Normally my head starts to get cold and I get A head ache when I go below the thermocline. Other than that I’m fine. How am I supposed To keep my head warm? Even if I decided to get a dry suit, a hood is a hood correct? I wear a 7mm aqualung hood but can’t seem to keep my head warm. Any thoughts?

Hello y’all,

Two things come to mind:
1. it’s too large and allowing water to freely flush, or
2. it’s too small and stretched making in thinner (less likely you would put up with the squeeze, but I've seen people do it because they know no better).

I ware a 8mm hood which is good even in 6'C

I'm typically fine with a 6mm (Santi) or 7mm (Aqualung) hood on most dives in 50F water. When diving a local cave I use the Waterproof 5/10mm since the water is a little chilly at 38F and were there for 3-4 hours.
A good fit is also key. Just like a wetsuit, the more places water can collect, the more your body has to heat. The head is no different.

Real divers just pee in their…. Umm… wetsuits and stuff.

I wear a 7 mil farmer john wetsuit. In the colder months I make sure my hood is tucked in. Don't care in Aug./Sept.

Make sure the skirt of your mask is under your hood. Then you can vent warm air from your mask into your hood.

Also, get a thicker hood with better fit. Hoods are "fresh produce".

I wear a 7 mil farmer john wetsuit. In the colder months I make sure my hood is tucked in. Don't care in Aug./Sept.
Yea it’s just my head that gets numb and starts to ache. I do Tuck my 7mm hood in. Maybe I’m just a sissy lol

I don't have much to say about the hood but have fun in superior. I just dove a few weeks back, it was so much fun! Where are you diving?

Back
Top Bottom