First Shore (Cold Water) Dive tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Meeting up with other divers from a shop in SLC to dive Flaming Gorge. They're bringing out two tanks for me and I'll be diving a 5 mil wetsuit over a 5/3 hooded vest. I'm guessing there will be a rocky 100 meter plus hike to the entry pont. Any tips on donning/doffing the wetsuit/gear without getting sand in everything. Transporting tanks/gear to the entry point. Should I suit up before the hike? Never done it before. Only other wetsuit experience is boat diving a 3 mil shorty in FL.

The 5/3 hooded vest really squeezes my head and face. Will that squeeze get better in the water...or worse?

I prefer to suit up at the car. I put on everything but mask, fins and gloves for the hike in.

Put a large ball or something in the hood and start stretching it now. A really tight hood will impinge on your throat and make breathing very difficult. I would try hard to dive the gear before people are waiting for you, if possible.

All these years… they don’t teach the use of these in Frogman School no more?

IMG_6478.jpeg

Have a seat.

Buy a hand-truck dolly for your lead collection!

Rather than a tarp, I have a small (6x8?) Moving blanket from harbor freight that I use as a gearing up mat as needed.

I prefer to suit up at the car. I put on everything but mask, fins and gloves for the hike in.

Put a large ball or something in the hood and start stretching it now. A really tight hood will impinge on your throat and make breathing very difficult. I would try hard to dive the gear before people are waiting for you, if possible.
Thanks for the ball tip. Got a basketball in there to stretch it a bit. Yes, I’m a fathead.

Rather than a tarp, I have a small (6x8?) Moving blanket from harbor freight that I use as a gearing up mat as needed.
I use the lid off a Rubbermaid tote. About 2x3 feet of rigid plastic keeps my feet away from pokey things while changing.

The closest I came to failing my OW was the first OW dive which was also the first time wearing my 7mm and hood. The set me up "properly" with the hood tucked into the wetsuit, but it pressed on my neck so hard I felt like I was asphyxiating. I got out of the water PDQ and pulled the hood out of the wetsuit and got through. The hood stayed on a large form for 6 months after that and is now pretty comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom