Current water temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gianster

Contributor
Reaction score
Hola,

I heard the water temps are currently abnormally warm due to El Niño. I'll be diving next week Saturday Oct.28 for 6 days. I also heard that the temps are cooling off a bit? What do you think they should be at that time? I always go in the winter and still freeze in my 5 mil with 3/5 hooded vest so I was going to bring that setup. I also heard the temps are like mid 80F's? Just trying to see what exposure I should bring. Anything less than 80-82F I tend to freeze. I get cold easily especially diving steel tanks at 80-90 minute dives. Thank you so much!

Currently in Coz. Dove yesterday and today--water temp at depth was 84 degrees both days.

I haven't been there since May, but I am willing to bet that this is a significant overstatement.
It's a general, but truthful statement. I talked to divers who were there in August and the water temps reached 93 F. A few months of those temps and the reef got bleached. Ok....so there's still fish but only juveniles. Very few adults and I saw just 1 green moray eel. Not much other marine life. Illegal fishing is still a problem, according to the dive guides, but the Marine Park Police are now patrolling at 4 a.m. and 5 a.m.

I was there in December and it was great. It's a shocking change in 10 months, but it shows how fragile our marine system is.

This is, of course, my subjective opinion.

Just returned from a 10-day trip. The water temperatures were 83-87 F. Sad to say, you'll be very disappointed in the diving. The reef is bleached and all the fish are gone. 😪
Currently in Coz for 11 days. Dove yesterday and today. My perception differs from @living4experiences Coral bleaching is evident, but it is not pervasive and there are lots of critters: the "usual suspects" are turning up on each dive!:)

Thanks all! Yea I was there this past June and was fine. Actually we saw reef sharks, an unexpected eagle ray that time of year, and glad to see the sea horses return after so many years. What kind of exposure protection was the majority wearing? If it’s windy above still might need my 5mil. Hate to do it but I may just bring a whole damn neoprene wardrobe to be safe :)

It's a general, but truthful statement. I talked to divers who were there in August and the water temps reached 93 F. A few months of those temps and the reef got bleached. Ok....so there's still fish but only juveniles. Very few adults and I saw just 1 green moray eel. Not much other marine life. Illegal fishing is still a problem, according to the dive guides, but the Marine Park Police are now patrolling at 4 a.m. and 5 a.m.

I was there in December and it was great. It's a shocking change in 10 months, but it shows how fragile our marine system is.

This is, of course, my subjective opinion.
Your fellow divers led you astray. Temps were closer to 86 in August (not over 90 ). There were all sorts of stories about the Keys showing temps like that but not Cozumel. That was my recollection and I checked with a friend. Currents were lousy so I didn’t dive that often but temps just weren’t that hot.

While temps are definitely above normal , it has generally just been by 1,2 or 3 degrees Fahrenheit—not the level that necessarily screams coral bleaching (not a good temp, but not an obvious disaster). You are right about the poaching (are nurse shark meat/fins really worth enough in Mexico to break the law ?) , but I still see the usual suspects but likely slightly lower numbers .

Also been seeing quite a bit of macro stuff that is fairly new to me in Cozumel. Asked a dive guide known for having super sharp eyes if some of the things he was showing me were always so prevalent this time of year—his response was “I don’t know, I have never seen them before “

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom