Water temp/wetsuit thickness for Bali, Raja Amat in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
sdwho

sdwho

Contributor
Reaction score
Have trip to Bali and Raja Ampat planned for three weeks in December. What should I expect in terms of water temperatures? What wetsuit is recommended? Thinking of bringing a 3 mil plus a hooded vest.

I'm just leaving that area and i was fine in a 3mm wetsuit, no hood. That said, other people were a little chilly on some of the dives so a 3mm with a hood might be advised. The water temps in late Oct/ early Nov were, according to my dive computer, between 80 and 92. Screen shot shows it for several dives. 78 was the coldest it got. In Komodo the water is downright hot, mid 80s. A 3mm was more than adequate.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 8.34.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 8.34.36 AM.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 50
In Manta Bay it’s even colder. It got down to 17C (63F) at 41m (134’) depth to see Mola Mola. Unfortunately you won’t see Mola Mola in December.

IMG_2029.jpeg

IMG_2028.jpeg

IMG_2911.jpeg

Not that you'd ever get me there in a pink fit for free, however in similar climes I sport this ensemble

364 26232328_1795887217119559_5507116560859510058_oa.jpg

It's titled Emiliano Number One

In Bali it depends on which dive sites. In South of Nusa Penida, like Manta Point it could be cold, around 68F. I wore 5mm last August.

The mantas look amazing. I dove in Kona and saw mantas in a night dive. Yours is in day light.

I'm thinking to go to Bali in early March/2024. Would there be chance to see mantas, and I guess my 3mm won't be warm enough?

The mantas look amazing. I dove in Kona and saw mantas in a night dive. Yours is in day light.

I'm thinking to go to Bali in early March/2024. Would there be chance to see mantas, and I guess my 3mm won't be warm enough?

I’ve been diving in Bali almost every year since 2008. Whenever I was in Manta Point, Nusa Penida, I always saw them. So, you’d have very good chance to see them there. There is a reason that site is called Manta Point.

That place is always cold. I’d wear at least 5mm wetsuit with hood. But you are Canadian, so, 3mm may be OK.

I’ve been diving in Bali almost every year since 2008. Whenever I was in Manta Point, Nusa Penida, I always saw them. So, you’d have very good chance to see them there. There is a reason that site is called Manta Point.

That place is always cold. I’d wear at least 5mm wetsuit with hood. But you are Canadian, so, 3mm may be OK.
Thanks Dan.

Good to know the chance to see mantas is very good.

I was originally from Taiwan. After living in Canada for >40years, I still don't like the cold, and gets cold easily. I'm warm water diver. Sounds like I'll need at least 5mm, with hood. I thought Bali is supposed to be warm/hot, but ok, the water is colder than Kona, Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom