Late December Diving in Indonesia: anywhere on par with Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend Sorido Bay Resort, which is in the heart of the Dampier Strait - the best of Raja Ampat. You can check my YouTube chanel. I have many videos about diving in that area. I’ve been there three times already, and going again in January 2025.

Hello, we are planning our 2024 Dec diving trip during the Christmas/New Year Holiday, for about 2 weeks.

We took 2 December dive trips to Indonesia before: South Komodo+ Bali (2019), and Raja Ampat (2022), both LOB+ a few days of land based. We enjoyed them both, esp R4. We also took recent Dec dive trips to Maldives, and will go to Fiji in a couple of weeks.

We like warm water reef dives with coral gardens and marine life diversity, not (yet) into micro or muck dives.

We did some research on SB for Dec in Indo , considered these and have some concerns/questions :

1) Alor: water can be cold and late Dec is out of season.
2) Triton Bay: visibility can be an issue (??) and no 24 hour electricity
3) Wakatobi: is the diving quality as good as or close to R4? We do not care much about the luxury side of the resort but will go there if the diving is really good.
4) Anywhere else? We are also considering Tufi in PNG (NOT part of Indonesia), unsure if Dec is rainy season there thus not the idea diving time.

What's your suggestions for diving destinations in last two weeks in December in Indonesia, or the general Coral Triangle Area if we need to expand the scope? Somewhere with diving quality on par with or close to R4?

Thanks!
Alor you can dive all year round! Visibility can be lower than average of 25-30m in season. But diving is still good also "off"- season

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom