Trip Report Raja Ampat [10 weeks diving with 9 different operators]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe some pricing info for stays and diving with homestays, and how did you pay while in these remote places. Also internet and mobile phone coverage.
If you have a look on the Stay Raja Ampat website, there is a wealth of information regarding travel in the islands, Homestays, dive centres. Very useful.
I spent 5 weeks there, travelling and diving from homestays and a liveaboard.

As Jonnie B says, the Stay Raja Ampat site is gold. As well as info on prices for accommodation, each homestay lists prices for pickup, transfers, and excursions.

As an example, the boat pickup from Waisai to Coconut Homestay (near Tarzan) cost 60k. We shared the cost with 3 others. But when we went from Gam to Batanta it was 1.5million and we didn't have anyone to share the cost with.

On mobile reception... we were surprised how often we had signal. At Batanta (Dayan), Pam Islands, and Tabari Homestay it was pretty sketchy.... but you could get a WhatsApp out and access Web pages in the evenings and early mornings

This web site has been active well before Wuhan virus hit the headline.
It has all the info that anyone would need to know about the area.
How did I manage to dive there without it?

Indeed, you have made me reconsider homestays. That said, I can't bear the heat. How did you all manage?

JonnieB is from Thailand, so I understand that it would be much easier for him.

Indeed, you have made me reconsider homestays. That said, I can't bear the heat. How did you all manage?

JonnieB is from Thailand, so I understand that it would be much easier for him.
LOL.
A lot of expats living in SE Asia could not survive without AC!!!!
I did not have any issue without AC while staying at the Homestay in Raja Ampat. The generator was switched off before mid night and I had no problem to sleep even the fan was OFF.
I had stayed in various places in Asia where AC was NOT an option. A well ventilated room with screen window is 10 times better than the stupid AC.

LOL.
A lot of expats living in SE Asia could not survive without AC!!!!
I did not have any issue without AC while staying at the Homestay in Raja Ampat. The generator was switched off before mid night and I had no problem to sleep even the fan was OFF.
I had stayed in various places in Asia where AC was NOT an option. A well ventilated room with screen window is 10 times better than the stupid AC.
For you but I am one of a family with expats living in SE Asia. They get along fine without the a/c in, much to my consternation.

It may be fine for me at the homestay. Unfortunately l, I have no way of knowing until I do it. Based on previous experiences in the tropics throughout vast parts of the world, I know that I cannot take it.

Perhaps after a long stay with family, I will be more acclimatized and could arrange a homestay then.

Breeze from the open sea into ventilated room makes sleeping without AC bearable. That’s the setup of Raja4Divers - Your Bungalow

IMG_3143.jpeg

I was there in 2016. Trip Report - Pulau Pef - Little Raja Ampat Trip Report

I’ll be back there again in February 2025.

but I am one of a family with expats living in SE Asia. They get along fine without the a/c in, much to my consternation.
Many locals also cannot live without AC.
We are all individual and have different idea on comfort. I am afraid you have to find it out whether you can cope it or not.
If you do not give it a try, you will never know yourself on how to deal with "unfavourable" conditions.
Flexible.

We’ve always preferred no a/c as long as there is a sea breeze or a fan. As my wife has got to a certain age she is now finding it hotter, but is still fine without a/c. Recently (after R4) she bought a small portable fan that runs on a rechargeable battery. This would help when the sea breeze is slight. We’re currently in LB (Komodo) and we use her little fan instead of the a/c unit in our accommodation here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom