Where to rent dive equipment in Sorong/Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bballnut90

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We have a group headed to Raja Ampat for a week long liveaboard next year, but none of us own our own equipment, and the boat we're going with only provides air and doesn't have equipment for rent. They also informed us they don't know of any equipment rental spots in Sorong (where the boat picks us up). Anyone know of companies in Raja area that will rent equipment for a trip like this? Would prefer to rent over ponying up and getting our own.

I've never heard of a liveaboard company that doesn't have rental gear. You mentioned they provide air. Do they provide weights? I can't help you for renting in that area, but you might consider renting your gear here in the U.S. and take it with you. Renting gear in a foreign country brings up a couple of issues, one being with your gauges. Will they be in bar or pounds? Will your computer be in feet or meters? Even though the computer settings can be changed, oftentimes, the staff does not know how to change it. They just hand them out. I speak from experience years ago before I had my own equipment and rented gear in St. Maarten. Everything was in bar and meters and they couldn't adjust it to U.S. measurements. When I got back home, I bought my own stuff.

If you rent from a land-based shop in Raja and you have a problem out at sea, what next? If the liveaboard doesn't have spare gear or a means for a repair, your dive trip could be over. Others here may have a better answer for you.

Honestly if you're paying the money and spending the time to journey to Raja Ampat just buy your own gear because you're obviously interested in diving and will probably go on more dive trips. Buy your own gear and test it out in a pool or some other local dive trip before you go so you're familiar with it and understand how it works.

If for whatever reason you're still against that you can rent gear from a local dive shop and bring it with you but if you're going to do that you could also just buy your own gear from a local dive shop.

I'm quite curious as to why you and your group have chosen Raja Ampat over another destination?

@bballnut90

If the LOB doesn't have gear for you to rent you really should think twice about this particular LOB. All dive-oriented LOBs carry gear for rent, if for no other reason that they don't want people to complain about "lost dives" due to gear issues.

I'm guessing you've booked a boat that is more "adventure cruising" than diving focused. This is fine, however that also suggests they may not have guides that really know how to dive the best sites. Over the week, how many dives were you hoping to get in?

If you really are going this route, I would suggest renting at home and carrying the gear with you. Any gear a dive center is willing to rent you in Sorong is going to be gear you don't necessarily want to dive with. And as others have mentioned, what happens in the case if something either breaks or needs service?

Does yourLDS offer rentals for foreign travel?

We have a group headed to Raja Ampat for a week long liveaboard next year, but none of us own our own equipment, and the boat we're going with only provides air and doesn't have equipment for rent. They also informed us they don't know of any equipment rental spots in Sorong (where the boat picks us up). Anyone know of companies in Raja area that will rent equipment for a trip like this? Would prefer to rent over ponying up and getting our own.
If you have booked a Raja Ampat cruise that happens to do a few dives here and there... I am not sure what to tell you. I'm pretty surprised a boat offers diving but can't source gear. That would set real warning bells off for me as far as what they offer underwater.

What live-aboard is this as it seems odd they don’t offer gear rental? Also, not owning your own gear, do you all have enough experience for a Raja Ampat live-aboard? Depending on tides, some sites can be challenging dives with very strong currents and may require quick descents to hit - so make sure you are comfortable with that.

I'm kind of like you in that I've put off buying equipment because a) I like to travel light and b) I don't want to deal with the maintenance of equipment over time c) I'm only doing dedicated dive trips once a year.

There are a couple scuba schools in Sorong based on what I can see in google maps...but having spent some time in Sorong I'd probably be more comfortable getting gear ahead of time (or choosing a different liveaboard if you can!)

I can't think of any places which would rent gear that you could easily pick up. I think it's a giant red flag that your liveaboard won't either. I highly recommend choosing a different company.

Edit: many liveaboards pass through Waisai. If yours does, you could ask Meridian Adventure Dive about rentals. They have quality gear and are at the harbor. If your liveaboard does not return to Waisai, returning it would be painful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom