Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Collin O'Brien

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,
I am going on a dive trip to Baja, Mexico from around mid May 2024. I was curious what thickness wetsuit most people would use at this time? What is the water temp usually and what is the thermocline temp?

The trip is planned on spending 3-4 days in each of LaVentana, LaPaz and Cabo Pulmo or Cabo San Lucas.

I brought a 3mm to Bonaire in October last year and I only wore it 1-2 times as the water was in the mid 80’s even at 100ft. I just wore a bathing suit and a rash guard.

In New England, I generally get colder wearing a 7/5mm ScubaPro at and use a DrySuit most of the year. Temps usually mid to high 50’s and warmer months mid 60’s. I generally only get cold in lower 50’s.

Is there any other gear or items I should consider bringing when going to Baja, Mexico (not a live aboard trip)?

Thank you,
Collin

I snorkeled and freedived in Cabo is May 2021 and in La Ventana in May 2022. Then in La Ventana in April 2023. I wore a 5mm, sometimes with a 2mm hooded vest, on those trips. Water temps were 75-77. These were what one might call normal water temp years.

Keeping in mind that these past few months were during El Niño, Cabo Pulmo in November this past year was 81-82 or 1-2 degrees above normal. But by late November, the water temp in La Paz had dropped to 78-79. I didn't encounter any thermoclines in either place but the dives were not 40-60 ft. Your crystal ball is as good as mine as to whether El Niño conditions will persist until May. NOAA forecasts say that conditions will revert to neutral (ie, normal) by then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom