Cold water boots and gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello. I'm diving wet in the Midwest. I was at Mermet Springs last week and the water twmp was 47 degrees. I can't afford a dry suit right now, so that's off the table. I have an Aqualung Iceland semi-dry wetsuit with hood. I was very comfortable with my head and body, but my hands and feet froze. Does anyone have recommendations for the warmest gloves and boots? curent glove are 5mm aqualung (were a gift so don't know more) and I bought my boots right after getting certified from the shop. I don't remember what they are and have no info other then size. i want the boots to go over the suit so i dont mess with the seal on the suit. im looking at

Henderson 7mm Aqualock Quick Dry Boots and Aqualung 5mm Manta Boots for boots and Waterproof 5mm G2 Semidry 5 Finger Gloves for gloves. IDK why the text is huge, but any advice would be very appreciated.​

Have you considered wearing three-finger mitts, possibly with wool (or salt and pepper) liners? And wool (or salt and pepper) socks worn in your neoprene boots?

rx7diver

Have you considered wearing three-finger mitts, possibly with wool (or salt and pepper) liners? And wool (or salt and pepper) socks worn in your neoprene boots?

rx7diver
I was looking at 3 finger but was worried about being able to turn on and off my flashlight and using my camera. and I have shark skin socks? but I know my boots are 3 or 5mm. they are not warm at all and fill/retain a ton of water. and for the gloves, I've looked at the wool liners and that is an option, but think I still need better gloves. did a 40 min dive and couldn't get my gloves off when I got out due to them being numb.

I use the 3 finger mitts. My feet get cold way before my hands. I may switch to the 5 finger by June here.

I dive in the high 40s with 3mm gloves so might not be the best to answer this, but I think you’ll find 6.5-7mm boots will make a big difference from what you have now. You can add some Bare Exowear socks if your feet still get cold.

I’d also suggest wearing the boots under your semi-dry if you haven’t already tried it. Should lessen the water exchange in your feet and keep your toes warm.

Does anyone have experience with the products I listed?

I haven't used those specific gloves and boots, but just wanted to share a quick thought. Since you said the 3mm mittens worried you for using equipment, the 5mm gloves you listed could be a good option to keep your hands warmer while still allowing dexterity. As for boots, going up to 7mm seems like it would really help compared to your current ones filling with water. Maybe give those a try and see if they make a difference!

i don't know about the specific exposure wear you're mentioning. Diving around Boston, I used 7 mm full suit with 5 mm hooded vest under. Worked ok. When switching to 5 mm step-in hooded vest on top of the suit (instead of hooded vest under) worked better. That configuration gives 12 mm to your torso. I had 7 mm boots that went over the suit. Make sure the fit is good!!! I also had 5 mm boots by henderson as well - easier to put on and take off but less rigid and a bit colder. Remember if you put 7 mm boots - your feet might be quite buoyant, so consider ankle weights. Gloves wise i used 7 mm (i think). Not much finger mobility but was bearable temperature wise. coldest temperature i've experienced was 4C in that at ~ 40 m. Felt cold but i did not stay at the depth too long.

go with waterproof extremely warm. I have the 3 finger mitt and really like them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom