7Till8 Custom wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elduderino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone have experience with these guys? (open to other suggestions too) Price seems reasonable and nothing ever fits me because I'm short and muscular. I also want stretch because my measurements can fluctuate depending on how much I'm working out. I'm wondering how accurate their temperature guide (attached) is, it seems really off. I understand everyone is different but I've searched these boards a ton and it seems 5mm or even 7mm is much more standard for 70 degree water multiple dives not 2mm which seems like a big difference. My goal is to get a full wetsuit (3 or 5) and then combine that with a 2/5 or 3/5 hooded vest for coldish water. Soccoro is the coldest I think I'd dive, I hate being in cold water and at this time don't have an interest dry suit diving. I've dove in cozumel (early summer 83 degrees) and Hawaii (winter 74 degrees) in a 5mm and wasn't overheated. Seemed pretty good thickness for multiple dives. I'd say I get cold kind of easy but I'm not a complete wimp haha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230611_120330_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611_120330_Samsung Internet.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 78
I don't have any experience with 7Till8, but have a similar problem. Here's what I did. I had a couple of XXL Water Proof suits that I liked (other than they make you look like the Blue Power Ranger) that I got from a guy getting out of diving (so I got them really cheap) that fit up top, but I had open spaces around the middle. I did some research and found Terrapin Wetsuits ( Custom Wetsuits - Terrapin Wetsuits ), which advertised wetsuit alterations. Contacted them, explained what I wanted to do, and sent a pic (see below) to make sure they were comfortable with the degree of alterations needed.

Chris Summers got back in touch with me right away, said they could do it, sent me the instructions for how to mark up the suits (essentially, put them on, have someone pinch the areas together where the alterations are needed, and mark - a lot like when you're getting a regular suit altered) and send it to them. I sent them off and turnaround was only a couple of weeks. This was 2009, and sure prices have gone up, but they worked on a rate and time basis, and I got "custom" wet suits for about $120. See pics. Very happy with the stitching / doesn't look like a cut and sew happened at all, suits fit great and have held up/ no issues and still use them. I recommend them to folks in our dive club who need alterations. They're in Texas, and they give their phone number on the site, so you can talk to a person (yeah, I'm old school like that).

Most folks leave diving after three years. there's a lot of wet suits out there hanging in closets/ people just want to get rid of. Just another thought.

Attachments

• IMG_1519.JPG
    IMG_1519.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2864.jpg
    IMG_2864.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 75
I don't have any experience with 7Till8, but have a similar problem. Here's what I did. I had a couple of XXL Water Proof suits that I liked (other than they make you look like the Blue Power Ranger) that I got from a guy getting out of diving (so I got them really cheap) that fit up top, but I had open spaces around the middle. I did some research and found Terrapin Wetsuits ( Custom Wetsuits - Terrapin Wetsuits ), which advertised wetsuit alterations. Contacted them, explained what I wanted to do, and sent a pic (see below) to make sure they were comfortable with the degree of alterations needed.

Chris Summers got back in touch with me right away, said they could do it, sent me the instructions for how to mark up the suits (essentially, put them on, have someone pinch the areas together where the alterations are needed, and mark - a lot like when you're getting a regular suit altered) and send it to them. I sent them off and turnaround was only a couple of weeks. This was 2009, and sure prices have gone up, but they worked on a rate and time basis, and I got "custom" wet suits for about $120. See pics. Very happy with the stitching / doesn't look like a cut and sew happened at all, suits fit great and have held up/ no issues and still use them. I recommend them to folks in our dive club who need alterations. They're in Texas, and they give their phone number on the site, so you can talk to a person (yeah, I'm old school like that).

Most folks leave diving after three years. there's a lot of wet suits out there hanging in closets/ people just want to get rid of. Just another thought.
That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure about used wetsuits. Seems kind of like buying used underwear lol

I have a 7Till8 custom suit with about 400 dives in it. I live about 5 miles from their shop.

Don't worry about the temperature chart. 7Till8 does lots of suits for surfers also, so the chart could be for surfing. You already know you need about 5mm for the type of diving you want to do.

We have several custom wet suit shops in this area. I picked 7Till8 because 1) they only use Yamamoto neoprene which is considered the best, 2) you get free repairs for life (I've already had at least $100 in free repairs done to my suit) and 3) I can get measured at their shop. The other custom makers in this area don't use Yamamoto neoprene and don't offer free repairs for the life of the suit.

I've been really happy with my suit and plan to get another one later this year from 7Till8. I just got back from a Socorro trip and my 5mm with a hood was fine. Temp was about 73F. I think your plan to add a hooded vest for colder temps is solid. Many SoCal divers dive with a hooded vest under their suit. You many want to get measured wearing the hooded vest.

I have a 7Till8 custom suit with about 400 dives in it. I live about 5 miles from their shop.

Don't worry about the temperature chart. 7Till8 does lots of suits for surfers also, so the chart could be for surfing. You already know you need about 5mm for the type of diving you want to do.

We have several custom wet suit shops in this area. I picked 7Till8 because 1) they only use Yamamoto neoprene which is considered the best, 2) you get free repairs for life (I've already had at least $100 in free repairs done to my suit) and 3) I can get measured at their shop. The other custom makers in this area don't use Yamamoto neoprene and don't offer free repairs for the life of the suit.

I've been really happy with my suit and plan to get another one later this year from 7Till8. I just got back from a Socorro trip and my 5mm with a hood was fine. Temp was about 73F. I think your plan to add a hooded vest for colder temps is solid. Many SoCal divers dive with a hooded vest under their suit. You many want to get measured wearing the hooded vest.
They have different charts for surf vs dive and they said their 3mm are closer to a 5mm. Have you dove in 80 degree water with your 5mm, is it hot? I'll likely dive more 75-85 degree water which is why I was thinking 3mm and layer a 2/5 hooded vest. I've done 3 tank dives in a non Yamamoto 5mm (no hood) at 74 degrees and wasn't cold at all but haven't done multiple days of 3-4 dives at that temp

They have different charts for surf vs dive and they said their 3mm are closer to a 5mm. Have you dove in 80 degree water with your 5mm, is it hot? I'll likely dive more 75-85 degree water which is why I was thinking 3mm and layer a 2/5 hooded vest. I've done 3 tank dives in a non Yamamoto 5mm (no hood) at 74 degrees and wasn't cold at all but haven't done multiple days of 3-4 dives at that temp
Not sure how 3mm can be more like 5mm since that is determined by Yamamoto, not 7Till8, and they're two objectively different thicknesses. I have dived in 80F water but with my 2mm jacket. For a week I did 2 80-minute dives and was warm enough but would have preferred a 3mm shorty or full suit with no hood. At 84F and above I only use a rash guard.

As you stated, when doing 3-4 dives a day for a week, you want to be more than marginally warm and err on the side of being too warm. You can always come up with ways to cool off, such as partially opening up a zipper.

Not sure how 3mm can be more like 5mm since that is determined by Yamamoto, not 7Till8, and they're two objectively different thicknesses. I have dived in 80F water but with my 2mm jacket. For a week I did 2 80-minute dives and was warm enough but would have preferred a 3mm shorty or full suit with no hood. At 84F and above I only use a rash guard.

As you stated, when doing 3-4 dives a day for a week, you want to be more than marginally warm and err on the side of being too warm. You can always come up with ways to cool off, such as partially opening up a zipper.
Every company that sells Yamamoto wetsuits says their wetsuits are comparable to a thicker wetsuit of non Yamamoto material. That's what I mean. I've dove a 5mm standard wetsuit and apparently Yamamoto 3mm (from any company) is closer to 5mm regular material. And a 5 is closer to a 7 so it seems like I'd be too hot if I get a Yamamoto 5mm

Every company that sells Yamamoto wetsuits says their wetsuits are comparable to a thicker wetsuit of non Yamamoto material. That's what I mean. I've dove a 5mm standard wetsuit and apparently Yamamoto 3mm (from any company) is closer to 5mm regular material. And a 5 is closer to a 7 so it seems like I'd be too hot if I get a Yamamoto 5mm
Oh, now I see what you mean. I'd still get the 5mm. There are ways to cool off underwater but no way to get warmer. I have very rarely heard someone say they were uncomfortably hot in their wet suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom