Diving with a thicker wetsuit than necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Puerto Galera, where the recommended wetsuit is 3mm. I do not have a 3mm suit but I do have a 5mm wetsuit (Henderson). I have normal cold tolerance compared to other divers. So, is there an issue with diving in a thicker suit than required?

No, especially if doing multiple dives per day over several days, you might really appreciate that 5mm.

I always dive a 5mm in tropical waters, but I also tend to run cold. Being hot on a dive is...quite unpleasant. Does your 5mm have a collar zip to let you flush it with water if you find yourself overheating? You can almost surely find a rental 3mm wherever you're going if you don't want to buy one - bring the 5mm, try it, and see how you feel.

While, as @Rilelen said, being hot on a dive can be uncomfortable, it is far preferable to being cold. Wear your 5mm suit and just pull down the collar and scoop up some cooler water from time to time if you find you're getting too warm. If you find that you are getting really (and uncomfortably) warm on dives, you can rent a 3mm suit. However, in my experience, rental wetsuits are almost always 3mm shorties, and not full suits. There's a big difference going from a 5mm full suit to a 3mm shorty.

I'm pretty cold tolerant/warm-blooded.

I just dived a week in Cozumel in my 5mm. Water temp was 82F. Never did I feel even remotely uncomfortably warm. I was very comfy the whole week...

If the recommendation is a 3mm, I cannot imagine a 5mm being a problem for anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom