60' poor viz vs. 100' good viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only been in cold and murky lakes and rock qaurries with limited vis to date. More difficult to navigate, bouyancy is a challange, etc... but I've never had to deal with surge or currents yet, so that could very well throw me off when it comes time for the ocean.

I find when I dive extremely bad vis (6 inches to a foot) that a black skirted mask will cut down on shadows and reduce my vertigo. Any other thoughts on this?

I originally got certified so that I could do a blue water vacation. While there I fell in love with it and realized that if I wanted to dive down there with any proficancy and not accidentally kill things, I would need to practice. Well where I live you are going to end up in the quarry to practice. Now I get out in the Ocean but viz still isn't that great up here!

pir8:
I originally got certified so that I could do a blue water vacation. While there I fell in love with it and realized that if I wanted to dive down there with any proficancy and not accidentally kill things, I would need to practice. Well where I live you are going to end up in the quarry to practice. Now I get out in the Ocean but viz still isn't that great up here!

My blue water expereince is slight so far so I know what you are saying. My world has been the Maine coast and freshwater where 15 feet give or take 10 is what we get. I can't say that the limited visibility bothers me, even at night. Like night diving I think we temper ourselves to dive in a smaller space.

Pete

I think everyone should dive a few times in less than good vis (less than 8 feet vis). I know that most of my experience before going to the ocean was that a vis of 30' was outstanding and 10'-15' was normal. I got scared watching a boat run above me and I was 60' down. I looked up and couldn’t judge the distance I thout I was much closer to it than I was.

It is all you are used to. I think that everyone should be experienced with good and bad vis. That way if you do get down and the bottom gets stirred up or a sudden upwelling catches you and the vis goes from good to bad you wont panic.

Swampdogg:
Current is great as long as the boat is going the same direction.

You're right.

I enjoy the current... feel very comfortable in it. We were doing a night dive on the Benwood wreck, in Key Largo, and the trip out, traversing the hull, was into a fairly stiff current (which the Atomic splits handled with ease, btw). The return was a great mini-drift. Gave us a chance to watch the lobsters, nurse sharks, parrot fish building their bubbles, etc, without worrying about finning. My wife felt a bit out of control, and less then comfortable -- I could've gone all night... Guess it's a personal preference thing...

Back on topic, I feel more comfortable on the Spiegel Grove at 90 feet, in 83 degrees, with 80' viz, then in one of our local quarries, at 30' with 15-20' viz.

Points discused here.
1. Low Viz - ( 0- 5 m)
Advantages
You look more closely and find interesting critters, fishes are less scared of you and are nearer, you swim slowly and observe more instead of a big game fish you saw on the blue horizon, you take more care of your depth and air supply
Disadvantages
You can loose your buddy easily and buddy lines are a real hazard on a reef or wreck.
2. Good Viz ( > 5 m)
Advantages
Loosing your buddy is less likely.
Photography is more easier
Disadvantages
You normally forget you depth as you can stil see the boat, you need to take care of your air as you go deeper.
You start focusing on too many things as you can see better and miss out lots of stuff
(depends of person to person and their interest)
3. Buoyancy
Viz has hardly anything to do with it. Buoyancy comes naturally as you progress like driving. You only have to work harder to get it at the begining.
Maintaining buoyancy is easier in deeper dives than shallow dives but again its not a problem if you dive regularly ( atleast on every weekend). I prefer diving with least weight and almost no air in the BC . On a rebreather again its a different matter instead of your natural lungs the counter lungs does it, so you have to make consious effort to adjust, more difficult.
4. Shallow Vs Deep
You see more marine life at shallow < 18 m than at depth
In my experience ( which is 120 dives only) I tend to see more fish life at 3 m compared to 14 m. At shallow, surge is a problem but if you stay low its not dificult unless big waves are breaking over the rocks.

Delaware Dave:
I don’t know if any of you live in the coastal Delaware Area... but I live about 15min from Indian River inlet and spearfish there regularly.

I grew up in Philly and camped and fished at Indian River Inlet many times - I have seen that current going in the inlet - wow - in fact we went there in 96 after having not been there since 1969 and I was amazed that the old bridge was gone - I mentioned that to someone in the campground, and she ran and got her husband so I could tell her about the old bridge and he wouldn't think she was nuts!!!

Oh, BTW, we used to catch dozens of sharks there!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom