(8/19/2004) Think Someone is trying to scam my girlfriend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From one of the google links above... The TBRNews.org link:

"In September of 1998, another expedition, this time under the direction of one Norman Scott of Alachua, Florida-based “Global Explorations,” arrived at the Hotel Cieslar in Techendorf.

There were twelve persons in the party, most of whom arrived on the eighth of September with the remaining members arriving on the ninth.

This expedition consisted of:
Mr. Scott and his secretary, Ms Doré, Room 117
Mr. McAfee, Room 101
Mr. Lee, Room 102
Mr. Anderson, Room 109"

etc.. etc..

Considering that the Global Explorations website shows a photo of a woman who is supposed to be Mr. Scott's wife, it's interesting that he shared a room with his "secretary".. :)

I also found verification of him exploring Fort Carlisle in Port Royal Jamaica.

His website sucks, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

It seems a little odd that most of the pictures of divers show them in double hose regs

Send an email to him (address listed on webpage):

"I heard about your company, and we may be interested in using your services for a project we are involved in. Please give me some references (names, email addresses) for some of your clients". He should be able to provide one name out of his long list:

Client List

Bahamian Government
Colombian Government
Cuban Government
Ecuadorian Government
German Government
Jamaican Government
Mexican Government
Russian Government
Georgia Tech
Secretary of the Army
Smithsonian Institution
State of Florida
University of South Carolina
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
U.S. Coast Guard
ABC Network
A&E Network
BBC Network
CBS Network
Discovery Channel
NBC Network
TBS Network(Japan)
ZDF Network(Germany)
Focus
Life
National Geographic
Stern

If you get a satisfactory response, then, on a scale of 1-10, decide how attractive your girlfriend is. Next, on a scale of 1-10, determine how unlikely it would be for you as an employer to risk such a high liability on an unknown and potentially unqualified employee (10 being totally unlikely). Then, on a scale of 1-10, determine the likelihood that his operation makes any money whatsoever with which to pay any employees (again, 10 being totally unlikely).

Add the three numbers together. If the total is greater than, say, 20, you have your answer.

And the clincher: have your girlfriend ask to speak to his wife.

Notice that the page mentions books, but does not give titles. What author would not have links to Amazon.com to buy the book?

Viscya:
What real business puts it's web site on aol.com?

Domain names are what $50?
Well... lots of them for one thing.

The other thing is that it may be $50 to register a domain name (less actually) however then you have to either have the site hosted remotely and have someone administrate it or set it up and do everything yourself.

I also doubt that his site has a static IP address with AOL so he would be taking a chance with name resolution if he registers the site himself and has AOL host it. Like most people he probably doesn't know much about dynamic DNS either....

Anyway.......... :)

Well, I will often do my part as a scuba instructor to bring good looking women into diving. I have offerd a waitress or two a discover scuba diving. and is your girlfriend Hot? And if so, Would she like to go on a discover scuba diving?
cheers, Nick

Back
Top Bottom