8" PVC Pipe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmayer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to make a tank holder for my pickup.

On the dive boats at CoCoView and a few other places I've dived, the bottom of the tanks sit in a piece of PVC pipe.

I'd like to find some PVC pipe to use to build my tank rack.

I'm thinking 20" lengths of pipe affixed vertically in the bed. The tanks would then be lowered into the pipe and surgical tubing stretched over the tank valves to hold them in place.

Does anybody know where I can find 8" ID PVC pipe? I tried Lowes and Home Depot, but they only carry up to 6".

Try a plumbing supply store.

Or a plumbing contractor. Sometimes they will sell supplies.

Try calling some big plumbing contractors and ask if they have any scrap pipe. Most of them that have it will gladly give what they have...

When you get it built please share some pics...

Phil

Contact Mid-America Marketing, Inc. 1364 Foster Avenue Nashville, TN 37210
Phone: (800)890-1579 Fax: (615)259-5111.
Ask them who they sell to in the area.
Contact the companies that they give you and see is they have any short pcs. that you can buy at a good price.
You are looking for an 8" sch 40 pcv pipe (the id of shc 40 8" pipe is 7.942") so that should fit an al80 just fine without a tank boot.
Jim breslin

I went to a local sewer contractor and told him what I wanted it for, and he took me out to the shop and gave me a 4' long scrap at no charge.

Thanks for the pointer to plumbing supplies! I found a local pipe supply company that the big contractors here use.

I got a 10' piece of 8" sch40 PVC. It was not cheap! $65!

Now I just need to cut it up and slap it in. I've got a Westin bed extender that I'm going to attach the pipe to.

Should have it done and pics up by the weekend.

watch out for pvc. some time in adverse environments and voila... no good. especially UV. My recommendation would be to paint the rings or tubes depending on your design.

offroaddiver:
watch out for pvc. some time in adverse environments and voila... no good. especially UV. My recommendation would be to paint the rings or tubes depending on your design.

How about UT Orange? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom