A call to PADI certified divers and poll about 2001 MSD changes.

Should PADI allow non-diving certifications to apply to the requisite 5 for the MSD?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the value of the course depends largely on the instructor.

As it happens, the PADI Enriched Air course requires two dives, where some other agencies do not require dives for that specialty. Regardless of whether dives are mandatory or not, I think it is a worthwhile course.

As an adjunct to EANx, the DSAT Gas Blender course (which requires no dives) can be an excellent course. Course material includes theory and practical application of gas blending in addition to methods of oxygen cleaning.

It may be a distinctive specialty, but Oxygen Administration (requiring no dives) is a most valuable topic. It could easily be taught in conjunction with EFR or Rescue.

I didnt look at the master scuba diver rating when I was at amatuer level but I think a rating that recognises that a diver has done a reasonable number of dives (I'm not sure how many that is though but 50's a start) and has good all round experience, certainly helps dive operators distinguish more experienced divers from others who may need closer attention. Obviously though, the inclusion of non-diving specialities will diminish this.

I voted "yes", and trying not to be offensive with those of you who voted "no", I'll just give one example.

I just passed my instructor level training in "gear": the guidelines instruct you to go all the way through anything pertaining scuba gear, from reg bags to computers, but that's about all.

My course director goes fairly quickly over that and then spends the rest of the day with "hands-on" training: everyone gets one piston and one valve first stages (plus second stages, manometre and anything else attached) and makes you disassemble and reassemble.

Once you are more or less happy with this it's your own regs' turn.

Then it's BCDs.

Then it's valves on a drysuit.

It's officially an out-of-water specialty but in my eyes it is indeed very useful.

i'm with Chiara and Drew on this.

Some non-diving certs can add value to MSD, some don't.

Uncle Pug:
Matt, I understand what you want to do and why you want to do it... but I really think you are beating a dead horse. PADI is what it is.

I hear ya, repeating those opinions is beating a dead horse. This thread presents a specific opportunity for PADI members to provide feedback to the training department at PADI. Those with an MSD and/or those who support PADI may have a vested interest as I do.

--Matt

Matt,

I could be mistaken, but I believe Pug's point is PADI doesn't listen. If you are doing this to effect a change, you're wasting your time.

IMO, they make all their decisions based on marketing.

Walter:
Matt,

I could be mistaken, but I believe Pug's point is PADI doesn't listen. If you are doing this to effect a change, you're wasting your time.

IMO, they make all their decisions based on marketing.

I understood Pug's message differently. Based on previous posts I understood his point was to bash PADI.

I may indeed be wasting my time. I would not know until I made an attempt. I received one reply from someone in training and quality that I referenced at the start of this thread. I replied to his note with additional comments and have not yet had a reply.

If other PADI divers were motivated to send a note perhaps change or the start of a change would happen. It's not a personal campaign of mine per se but I prefer to see standards elevated rather than reduced. That benefits everyone, PADI/MSD supporter or not.

--Matt

Matt, who did you reply to? Scottri and myself i believe are the only people to suggest they are PADI (in the post, didnt check profiles) and mention our concerns of this rating, with or without the recent changes. Both views and most are continuing to say the same as the previous threads you started about MSD (in particular PADI), the "cert" has no value and is not really something worth aiming at as it is just money going down the drain for a piece of plastic that says nothing, for the same price you can get a reg serviced (labour) or about a dozen air fills, half a dozen nitrox fills or countless other things, possibly the best part of a boat ride for a couple of dives too. I would prefer the dives or fills for diving than a card that says nothing, had no actual training to get beyond the pre-req's.

Matt,

I commend you for your intent. I'd like to see standards raised too. I frequently get called a PADI basher for having that wish. You may be next.

Back
Top Bottom