A comprehensive travel blog for Malpelo Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just finished doing the write up which includes many photos and 7 videos including topside and underwater
No drones I am afraid all old school handheld
Hopefully useful to everyone here thinking of going there, I hope to follow it up with another addition in the dry season soon

I just finished doing the write up which includes many photos and 7 videos including topside and underwater
Hopefully useful to everyone here thinking of going there, I hope to follow it up with another addition in the dry season soon

Great write up.

Nice! What temperatures can one expect in the dry and wet seasons?

Nice! What temperatures can one expect in the dry and wet seasons?
surface ranges between 26-28 however below thermoclines can go from 18 to 25
In essence you can do it with 3 to 7 mm wetsuit depending on your preferences

Sea surface was last month at 29 - 30° celsius, thermocline (let's say a real thermocline) is very deep. Still 26° at -50 meters.

Nothing normal, el niño is back...
I was there in June. The water was not 29-30 it was 28 in the shallow. Thermocline was 26 and in some sites was at 25 meters in others at 40 meters. In 2023 we have el nino well assuming the temperature will ever go down

Thank you. Excellent and very informative.

Question: On the same day that I disembark, there is a flight leaving Cali at 14:30. Should I even try or should I stay the night in Cali and fly out on the next day?

Thanks.

Question: On the same day that I disembark, there is a flight leaving Cali at 14:30. Should I even try or should I stay the night in Cali and fly out on the next day?

Thanks.

I’ll respond to your question on behalf of @Interceptor121 as it’s around 2AM in UK now.

I’m on my way home from Malpelo. Yesterday the bus from Buenaventura arrived in Cali around noon, too tight to go straight to CLO airport for my 2:30PM flight to Miami. So, I stayed in Intercontinental Hotel for a night just like most of the guests coming from USA. It’s also what is recommended by Colombia Dive Adventurers.

I’m boarding my connecting flight to Houston now. You need to have at least 2 hours of layover in Miami to have enough time to go through US Immigration, pick up your check-in baggage and drop it off to the domestic baggage handling & pass through TSA. With Global Entry pass I just barely made it through my connecting flight.

Excellent trip report! I’ll use your report as reference to my upcoming trip report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom