A couple Atomic Z2 questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enduser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a used Atomic Z2 set and excited to give it a dive. But had a couple of questions.

Here is the set.

IMG_0420.JPG

Questions:
1. I don't have a tank handy. But noticed when I take a breath on either 2nd stage I can draw air in and hear air coming from the other 2nd? Is this normal? It seems like the other regs I have had will barely breathe tankless and certainly not pulling in from the other 2nd but I could be wrong... Maybe I never noticed?

2. Having never had a 1st stage with a bottom port I had a question about hose routing.

I dive with my hose lengths and octo like this picture.

5FD647C2-9063-4457-9251-2E9B2DE6CA7C-1518-00000049AB544B1B_tmp.jpg
And I switched out the installed Atomic hoses with my current set and have them currently configured like this.

IMG_0418.JPG

I have a DSS SS plate and LCD 30 BC will the routing out the bottom port with the 1st pointed down cause a problem with clearance?

3. I'm thinking about switching the purge cover only from the yellow octo to the grey primary. Even though I talk to my buddies before hand I'd just assume have yellow match my donating reg. How the heck do I take off the purge covers?

4. Kind of in the same vein as question three. Is there even any difference between the gray primary 2nd and the yellow octo 2nd other than color? If they are internally the same I may buy another gray color kit.

Thanks SB!

#1 is normal for Atomic when the reg is not pressurized. It is call the seat saver. The 2nd stage orifice open when not pressurized, so when you draw air from one, air just come in from another, go through the LP hose, to the LP chamber, our to another LP hose to your reg.

#4, there is no difference between the yellow and the gray 2nd stage. In fact, across all Atomic 2nd stage, their design and geometry are the same, only differ by the metal use. So Z2 breath just as well as the top end T3. Z2 is IMHO, is one of the best bank for buck high performance regulator out there. Good choice

@enduser I have the same, although I run a long hose where you're running probably a 48"? I find that if I cant the first stage about 45 degrees it lines up nicely. Should work the same for your configuration.

#2 I have around 150 dives with a 7' Miflex hose on a Atomic Z2 second stage mounted to the bottom port as my primary with no issues. I found it gave me a couple inches extra for better hose routing.

#3 - To switch the colored cover plates you simply unscrew the front ring (surrounding the colored insert). It might be a bit tight but it should twist off with not too much effort effort.

Thanks @eelnoraa, @Dish and @DON-PNW Appreciate the time. I guess the answer for 4 makes #3 moot I'll just switch the seconds. I'm sure the ring just unscrews on the front but I must be too much of a weakingly. :wink:

I'll play around with the angle when I mount the first when I get a tank.

Last edited:
I'm sure the ring just unscrews on the front but I must be too much of a weakingly. :wink:
The front ring is supposed to just screw off. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

I use one of these Regulator Cover Removal Tool
If you can find a silicone pad of some type or maybe use a mask strap. If not, and you're close to Draper, swing by Dive Addicts and we can twist it off for you.

2) just tilt the 1st stage slightly to your right if you have a clearance issue.

For #2 I would suggest that you kit up everything on a cylinder but with the first stage sans any hoses connected then add them to see how well they route. With a fixed port some of the outlets may work better than others. Also as noted above when using the bottom port for your long hose primary tilting the first stage is helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom