A cry for help. Destruction of cozumel starting in 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may not make sense, I am speaking from memory, go to the facebook page for accurate info. But believe me, this will impact the island in a terrible way.

Why don't they place the windmills on the mainland?

The gvnt doesnt want to destroy the landscape of the riviera maya, and most of that land is privately owned, whereas in Cozumel laws are being broken to build on protected areas (like the north of the island) and land that belong to the municipality.

Financially speaking, it´s better to ruin Cozumel than the riviera maya.

---------- Post Merged at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:46 AM ----------

And then there's all the predatory birds that get killed by wind turbines >>> USATODAY.com - Wind turbines taking toll on birds of prey

Exatcly, we are worried about the migrating birds, and the fact that these mills will be facing the turtle´s nesting areas, we dont know how the noise of these things will impact the wildlife.

---------- Post Merged at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Please sign the petition:

http://www.change.org/es/peticiones/noparkeolicozumel

Also, there is a lot of info there, please take a minute and check it out.

Here´s what the expert say, you may need a translator, but it´s worth learning what could happen here.

http://www.cemda.org.mx/07/advierten-expertos-sobre-impactos-ambientales-de-proyecto-eolico-en-cozumel/

Right. 'Cause the Mexican government is so well-known for being interested in the opinions of the public. Especially the non-citizen public.

As a non-citizen legal resident, it would actually be illegal for me to sign a political petition in Mexico, which would endanger my resident status.

And then there's all the predatory birds that get killed by wind turbines >>> USATODAY.com - Wind turbines taking toll on birds of prey

That is the most ignorant article I have ever seen. It was obviously written by someone with an objective other than the truth. Anyone who has ever seen these giant windtubines operate would know they don't move fast at all. It would be impossible for them to "chop up" anything but air.

That is the most ignorant article I have ever seen. It was obviously written by someone with an objective other than the truth. Anyone who has ever seen these giant windtubines operate would know they don't move fast at all. It would be impossible for them to "chop up" anything but air.
I am likewise skeptical of the overall effect on bird populations from wind turbines, but in all fairness, I'll wager that he tip speed of a wind turbine under normal operating conditions is far faster than most birds can fly.

I 'm really on the fence on this. On one hand, I would like to see Cozumel try to generate enough of its own power so they wouldn't be so reliant on the Riviera Maya for energy production needs. I also think that job creation for the construction phases and maintenance work would help the island economically. I think there could be some potential for lowering electric bills for the people on the island. I keep hearing how the power will go to the Riviera Maya, but that seems backwards. Aren't there underwater transmission lines running from the Riviera Maya to Cozumel to supply the island with power? It makes more sense that Cozumel would get the power, but who knows when you're dealing with the Mexican government.

What I don't care for is the deforestation of the jungle. I guess if it were limited and agreed upon in writing that no other parts of the jungle would be destroyed then maybe that would help. I know that having big wind turbines on the island would detract from its natural beauty. However, I'm not naive, and I know that the future is changing and energy needs are going to have to adapt. There will come a time when we will be forced as a society to use wind, solar etc.. once fossil fuels become depleted and/or too expensive to justify their use.

Dear friends,

I am a diving intructor in Cozumel, I am deeply distressed as the goverment is planning erecting 114 power producing wind mills on the east side of the island to feed the resorts in the riviera maya.
Those windmills, the roads needed to service them and the general infrastructure needed will destroy 20% of the jungles of our island.
These mills impliy the building about 120 miles of highway, and destroying 6000 hectares (roughly 6000 football fields).
The government has tried to keep this quiet, but hasn´t been able to.
We are trying to spread the word, we need all the help we can as the erection of those mills will destroy this paradise.
The habitat for hundreds of endemic species will be anihiliated, the cave water system will be disrupted by the contruction of the foundations for the mills.
PLEASE!! spread the word as this paradise may be lost in the very near future.
to learn more go to No al Parque Eólico Cozumel | Facebook
It´s in Spanish, but you might get an idea,
let´s save this paradise, let´s save that island that we love.
thank you, my fellow divers,
Alex

I showed this thread to my stepson, who just graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering. As it happens, his senior project was to add wind generation to a WWII era power station (now used by the engineering deptartment) without altering the appearance significantly (the building is considered a historic site, for whatever reason). He did it by adding wind turbines to the tops of the original smoke stacks. They're painted to match the stacks, and unless you measure the height of the stacks, you'd never know they were there. So he does have a certain amount of expertise in this matter.

He says your numbers are bunk. There's no possible way that the project you describe would require the construction of a road four times the length of the entire island. There is no way that the project you describe would require 6000 hectares, even including the contruction of ONE road the entire length of the island (and obviously all that would need to be done is improving the existing road, and possibly adding some short spurs at substations). He says that a windmill generating 1 megawatt of power, including all the associated stuff, will take no more than a hectare. Let's go crazy and call it 200 hectares. And let's assume another 100 hectares to store equipement to maintain the mills. That's actually an insane amount of storage, given that XCaret National Park is 80 hectares... Do you really think this project will need a warehouse bigger than Xcaret?

But being insanely pessimistic results in 300 hectares. The number you're reporting is 20 times that.

I suspect the number you're reporting includes all the empty land between and around the windmills. This empty land, of course, is not altered by the windmills, so it can hardly be honestly described as "destroy[ed]".
How are these windmills supposed to affect the cave system? Are they planning to plant the foundations in places that will block the caves? How far beneath the surface of the islands are these caves?

You later claim that 3000 people will be coming to the island 'to operate' the windmills. Wait... that's more than 26 people for each windmill. Are these windmills, or are you trying to generate power by attaching generators to bicycles? Hmmm... now THAT"S an idea!

I have no opinion on the advisability of this project. I just think that scare tactics and misinformation do nothing to aid the credibility of those opposing it.

---------- Post Merged at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:06 PM ----------

I am likewise skeptical of the overall effect on bird populations from wind turbines, but in all fairness, I'll wager that he tip speed of a wind turbine under normal operating conditions is far faster than most birds can fly.

I asked my stepson about this. His answer is that the blades are between 100-130 feet long, and they rotate 15-20RPM. Do the math if you like, but at the tip that's going to be moving at a pretty fair clip, and I'm absolutely certain that it could pulp any bird it hit.
How often birds actually get hit, I do not know.

Last edited:
So. Cozumel needs power. Would you prefer to build a nice coal fired plant with coal barges traversing the coast of the Riveria Maya, a nice natural gas plant with floating bombs (LNG tankers) docking in town, having fewer tourists, thereby limiting the number of pasty white gringos and driving up the price such that divers can't afford the ticket, or wind farms? Are you willing to give up your job as well as your friends jobs to prevent this wind farm? Didn't really think so. It's called progress, and like it or not, wind power is one of the least disastrous methods of making juice.

I 'm really on the fence on this. On one hand, I would like to see Cozumel try to generate enough of its own power so they wouldn't be so reliant on the Riviera Maya for energy production needs. I also think that job creation for the construction phases and maintenance work would help the island economically. I think there could be some potential for lowering electric bills for the people on the island. I keep hearing how the power will go to the Riviera Maya, but that seems backwards. Aren't there underwater transmission lines running from the Riviera Maya to Cozumel to supply the island with power? It makes more sense that Cozumel would get the power, but who knows when you're dealing with the Mexican government.

What I don't care for is the deforestation of the jungle. I guess if it were limited and agreed upon in writing that no other parts of the jungle would be destroyed then maybe that would help. I know that having big wind turbines on the island would detract from its natural beauty. However, I'm not naive, and I know that the future is changing and energy needs are going to have to adapt. There will come a time when we will be forced as a society to use wind, solar etc.. once fossil fuels become depleted and/or too expensive to justify their use.

Eight mills would be enough for Cozumel. They´ll erect 114. The mills are for the riviera maya, to Cozumel they will only bring destruction, and surely, money for the politicians.

---------- Post Merged at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Right. 'Cause the Mexican government is so well-known for being interested in the opinions of the public. Especially the non-citizen public.

As a non-citizen legal resident, it would actually be illegal for me to sign a political petition in Mexico, which would endanger my resident status.

If you dont want to sign for personal reasons I understand, but if enough ppl start complaining the mexican gvmt may stop, they recently stopped a project in Cabo Plumo in Baja California because it was going to be an eclogical disaster:

http://mexico.cnn.com/planetacnn/20...turistico-en-cabo-pulmo-una-gran-victoria-wwf

---------- Post Merged at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:42 PM ----------

So. Cozumel needs power. Would you prefer to build a nice coal fired plant with coal barges traversing the coast of the Riveria Maya, a nice natural gas plant with floating bombs (LNG tankers) docking in town, having fewer tourists, thereby limiting the number of pasty white gringos and driving up the price such that divers can't afford the ticket, or wind farms? Are you willing to give up your job as well as your friends jobs to prevent this wind farm? Didn't really think so. It's called progress, and like it or not, wind power is one of the least disastrous methods of making juice.

It´s NOT for cozumel, Cozumel needs eight, they´re ercting 114 for the riviera maya.

I dont call progress to build things on an island (self contained) and disrupting its water suply and environment, and about tourism.... you guys dont come here to see 114 windmills, highways or be on one of our beaches and listen to the humming of these things, you come here to visit a pristine paradise, we must reserve some places of this world to enjoy the nature.

I´m all for green energy, we have 94 of these in a place called La Ventosa, in the middle of nowhere, planted in solid ground, not on a cave system that provides water to an island.

About the benefit for the locals.... they are brining their own ppl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom