A Darwin Winner? You be the judge....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hocky

Contributor
Reaction score
Do any of you remember seeing the whale that was found floating dead off the coast of South Australia about a month ago? They ended up having 5 or so white pointers feeding off it and it really hit the headlines when some guy jumped on its back and was waving his arms around showing what a bloke he was....

Well if you thought that was stupid....I was talking to one of the scientists who was there while that was going on. He said that just before it happened, a woman with a 2 year old baby in her arms jumped onto the whales back and did exactly the same thing. It seems that the TV crews were so agast, shocked at what was happening they couldn't braodcast it. Can you imagine??? Surely we have a winner here...how stupid is that.

As an added bit of information my friend was saying that when the white pointers started turning up the largest there eating was a female....7m in length. Whats that, about 23ft? Now thats amazing...just how big do these sharks get?

Hocky

Sorry, your nominees aren't qualified for the award - for even though they performed a stunt that probably *should* have ended in their demise, they escaped, and so are ineligible.
We recently had a real nominee here in Montgomery, though. His last words were "Betcha I can... hold my beer." He then tried to swallow a live bream whole, but the bream flipped his way from gullet to windpipe, and our hero's friends were unable to get the bream, firmly wedged by its stiff dorsal and anal fins, out before the lad was dead. I think they spilled the beer, too.
Rick

What is a Bream? And, whatever it was..sounds like a horrible way to go!!

It's a fish. Gone Bream fishin' and Perch jerkin' many times when I was a kid. It's a southern thing ya'll might not understand. Just curious, how big a Bream was this guy able to swallow? :tree:Bob

Obviously, TOO big!!

Originally posted by Bob

It's a fish. Gone Bream fishin' and Perch jerkin' many times when I was a kid. It's a southern thing ya'll might not understand. Just curious, how big a Bream was this guy able to swallow? :tree:Bob

Sounds to me like we have a winner!

Too little to keep, too big to swallow.
About hand size, maybe a bit smaller.
My daughter the ER nurse said it was a particularly nasty death for the family - the guy's body was still alive for awhile after they got him to the emergency room, but he was already brain dead when the ambulance crew arrived on scene and removed the fish from his trachea.
A definite Darwin nominee.
Rick

Rick,
Sorry that the guy passed away, I don't like to hear of anyone suffering a painful death. Still, never heard of anone trying to swallow Bream. This guy has to be the winner.:tree:Bob

Kinda gives the name Bluegill a new meaning...

Ok ... I didn't realise that you actually have to die to be a Darwin winner. Maybe with that thought in mind we should have a "if they had died they he she would have won the Darwin award but they didn't and they are still stupid" contest?

What do you think?

There would have to be a boatload of people who would fit into that catagory and the stories would be interesting to say the least to have a look at? Rick, as you have been around for so long, and you seem to be highly regarded here on the board, what do you think?

Hocky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom