A Darwin Winner? You be the judge....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

don't know about the rest but I find this topic abit offensive.

Ed

Hi blacknet

No not at all.

I do find the Darwin awards offensive, I have to be honest, and I remember seeing that for the first time and thinking..this isn't right. All I am suggesting is an award for people doing stupid things....like the woman standing on the whale. No one was hurt but its just a really, really stupid thing to do.

Whats offensive about that?

Anyway, I have a feeling that nothing will actually result in this either one way or another.

regards

Hocky

Hello,

Well as with the 'darwin award' bit this one is offensive in the fact that it's making jest of others ignorance. Keep in mind *EVERYONE* was ignorant at one time or another.

Ed

Humor is always offensive to someone. Don't believe it? Try airing a humorous advertisement. No matter how innocuous you think you've made it, *someone* will find a way to be upset, insulted or otherwise offended.
The Darwin awards are a way to bring particularly stupid ways people have fatally injured themselves to public light - hopefully preventing a repeat performance. Humor is the vehicle; lifesaving is the goal. Of *course* it's offensive to make light of someone else's terminal stupidity. But if we don't, the information will never make it out to those who may benefit from it. How many of the people likely to attempt to swallow a live fish do you think will read a coroner's report? But if they read it in a Darwin award, they'll get a good laugh and maybe, just maybe, say "naw, I ain't gonna try that" instead of "Betcha I can... hold my beer."
Rick

Yep...I have to agree with ya. You have to laugh and people have to take note. And your're right people will be always be offended but you learn from it and you certainly don't do it yourself...so lighten up!

Hocky

I find it offensive to laugh and make mirth of someones death.

But I find it quite humourous to laugh at the lesson(s) learned by someone elses stupidity. (my own stupidity included)

We have all done something which would make the "normal: person go HUH ??

Butch :peace:

If I understand the premise you get the award for removing yourself from the gene pool for an act that shows incredibly bad judgement or stupidity. The logic is that is evolution at work when this occurs, hence the "Darwin" award. Note: some consider rendering oneself unable to reproduce through such acts to also count, as it effectively removes one from the gene pool as well. At least until cloning is perfected.

The easiest way to not be offended by this thread is to exercise your right to not read it. "Darwin Award" is mentioned in the header, so you chose to read it willingly.

blacknet:
Hello,

don't know about the rest but I find this topic abit offensive.

Ed

No one is trying to diminish the sorrow and anguishof another's death. We're just ridiculing the behavior that caused it.

That was well stated, Rick.

Might I gently also point out that the thread was three years old, before it was resurrected?

Scubaboard was a different place three years ago, so what was seen as merely funny then, could easily offend these days. We weer all different three years ago.

Personally, I find the Darwin Awards hilarious, but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom