A diver winging to dive but has sleep apnea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consult your Doctor or DAN Diver's Alert Network. I am not a Medical professional. Please seek advise from a medical Professional. Hope this helps.

Hi tflaris,

How could this be helpful?

If you believe this type of discussion is not appropriate for the Diving Medicine section, what do you see as an appropriate use of the forum?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

PS: You might find this informative:

(Scroll down to post #6) http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/258818-hashimoto-disease-diving.html

I have been diving for 30 plus years. I was diagnosed with severe restrictive sleep apnea about 10 years ago. From the questions my E.N.T. doctor asked me I figure I have had it for well over 20 years.

I use a CPAP, and it has made a huge difference in my life. I was on blood pressure meds for quite a few years before I was diagnosed, and soon after starting on the CPAP I was off all meds.

I used to be constantly fatigued, and would often sleep on night dives. It's amazing what you can learn to do.

You would be surprised how many people use CPAPs. I have been to a lot of places all over the Caribbean. Even places where the customs/security people do not speak English. I used to carry the paperwork for my CPAP just incase they questioned me, but in all cases they knew what it was.

I average over 100 dives a year without any problems.

But, as others have said, CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR.

A good tip for those that travel with CPAPs. My old machine was a little bigger than a shoe box, and weighed a ton. I now have a machine half the size, and light as can be. I spoke with my doctor, and explained the problem to him. He prescribed a machine with a humidifier. (I live in south Florida, and do not need humidity, but it did come in handy in Vegas at DEMA.) The machine detaches from the humidifier making it really small. This really helps when traveling with weight restrictions.

Just my $0.02.

I've been sleeping with a CPAP machine for longer than I've been diving. So far I've logged more than 2300 dives to a max depth of about 240 fsw without any ill effects.

I just last week traveled to British Columbia for a wreck penetration class, and the guy I was sharing a room with also showed up with a CPAP machine.

I don't think it's any big whoop ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have BiPAP and when I asked the pulmonologist what the long term implications were for having those pressures on the aveoli he replied "I don't know. I've never treated anyone with pressures that high before." No ill effects so far and my GP likes the exercise that comes with diving.

I would say the only real hazard is if you are untreated or don't take your machine with you. Then are not getting good sleep and might be a bit more irritable, in which case you might be at risk for being thrown overboard :wink:.

Dan

I definitely see a possible arterialization problem with divers who climb aboard a boat following a dive. Hand up your gear and be assisted boarding the boat.

Hi, my name is Caseybird and I'm getting my CPAP today...

Back
Top Bottom