a few DIR questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buccaneer:
That was my next question: Where do DIR guys keep the compass. I didn't think a retractable compass was DIR. I assume a bottom timer on one wrist and a compass on another? Wrist slate on left arm above .

The DIR system advocates wrist mounted gauges so as to maximize streamlining, minimize the risk of entanglement and keep the gauges where you can easily see them while in a horizontal position. Since your arms are out in front of you when diving in this position, mounting gauges on your wrist works well (actually, IMHO, it works well regardless of whether you are horizontal).

Right wrist = primary bottom timer.

Left wrist = backup timer and, further up the forearm, a wrist mounted compass.

I don't use a wrist slate. Instead, I carry wetnotes in a pocket.

If you are going to use a wrist slate, I suppose that it will need to go on whatever arm you don't use for writing (mine would be on my right arm).

I have now read the book twice and watched the video a couple times.. Very imformative! I can't wait to take the DIR F class (in January) I highly recomend watching the video. The two gurus of DIR showing everything first hand. Very cool and they really break down the rig. It's very slow but you'll learn alot.

It's not a chap DVD set but IMO it was worth it.

Soggy:
I think the hose length is 40", but I'm not sure.
Correct. 40 inch, deployed over the left shoudler, behind the neck, and around front from the right, same as the long hose.

Keeps the donation procedure identical no matter which bottle you're on, and it keeps the hose off the bottom.

CALI68:
I have now read the book twice and watched the video a couple times.. Just awesome! I can't wait to take the DIR F class (in January) I highly recomend watching the video. The two gurus of DIR showing everything first hand. Very cool and they really break down the rig.

It's not a chap DVD set but IMO it was worth it.

Though I'm committed to DIR, having taken both fundamentals and triox--and planning on tech 1--I found the DVD to be incredibly boring. I've yet to finish the first disk. Consider this fair warning for those of you, like me, with low boredom threshholds.

reubencahn:
Though I'm committed to DIR, having taken both fundamentals and triox--and planning on tech 1--I found the DVD to be incredibly boring. I've yet to finish the first disk. Consider this fair warning for those of you, like me, with low boredom threshholds.

LOL! Yea it was pretty dry but cut them some slack, how are you gonna make that stuff excitting? It's not like you can have explosions and car chases while JJ and GE are webbing a harness or explaining lights. :)

CALI68:
LOL! Yea it was pretty dry but cut them some slack, how are you gonna make that stuff excitting? It's not like you can have explosions and car chases while JJ and GE are webbing a harness or explaining lights. :)

Why not ? :D

Soggy:
Why not ? :D

You got a point. The set of doubles could have blown up and all the sudden all hell breaks loose and suddelny they're surrounded by a bunch of bad guys wearing jacket BC's, Purge masks and Split Fins. The bad guys attempt to attach a buckle to the webbing then out of no where George hit's them over the head with a V weight. JJ takes a full roundhouse to the head from a pair of Bio Fins but he quickly strikes back with a "light head left" leaving a permanent circle on the forhead of the bad guy.

Or something like that.

CALI68:
You got a point. The set of doubles could have blown up and all the sudden all hell breaks loose and suddelny they're surrounded by a bunch of bad guys wearing jacket BC's, Purge masks and Split Fins. The bad guys attempt to attach a buckle to the webbing then out of no where George hit's them over the head with a V weight. JJ takes a full roundhouse to the head from a pair of Bio Fins but he quickly strikes back with a "light head left" leaving a permanent circle on the forhead of the bad guy.

Or something like that.

I think we could just make it like a Star Wars scene. The guys with the Light Canons vs. the light Sabres...errr...Helios 18w.

Chris, put the goatskin full of wine down . . . you've had enough.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom