a few from molasses today, 7/1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am so jealous... great pics...
Had so much fun down there and can't wait to go back...
You must have your own boat...
Have fun and next time we will connect...
Lynn

I am so jealous... great pics...
Had so much fun down there and can't wait to go back...
You must have your own boat...
Have fun and next time we will connect...
Lynn

yes lynn, a 22 FT prokat(catamaran), docked behind my house @ MM102. 8 tank racks accommodate approx 4 divers. tim monitors this thread and maybe he can dig up a few photos taken last month on the vessel. next time your down this way, we'll give you a tour of deep molasses and a few other spots. hope to get out on the water later in the week after the winds lay down and the precip clears out,,,

reefman
key largo

Reefman's boat... great ladder and terrific boat to dive from.
DSC_7146.jpgDSC_7152.jpg

Did my Middle Keys reconnoitering trip on Friday, July 1st, after my BHB morning dive. I guess I'm glad I did it, but, dang, it's an awfully long way down there from West Palm. And the traffic. . . I may never go south of Lauderdale By The Sea, ever again. Well, maybe down to Reef Photo and Video. Didn't even make it to Marathon.

Checked out a couple of boat rental spots. The differences were quite interesting. One offered electronics for navigation, the other didn't.

Looks like four divers and eight tanks wouldn't be a problem. But, I often can't even find *one* dive buddy for my Florida trips, so looks like it ain't gonna happen.

Did find a very affordable little mom and pop motel, thanks to the nice ladies at one of the dive shops in Islamorada - 39 bucks, Sundays thru Thursdays in the non-snowbird months. And, they had the coolest outdoor land crab guarding the office. . .

I'm *still* worn out from that drive.

Kevin

kevin, you drove down on possibly the busiest 3 days of the year(4th of july occurring on a fri or monday). don't get discouraged! the traffic yesterday leaving the keys was dreadfull(as it was on friday and sat). it was compounded by decent boating weather which brings the crowds from dade, broward and palm beach counties south for a few days on the water. your trip south was not indicative of a normal weekend(weekdays are the best days). our dive gang stayed on shore these past 3 days, timing is everything!!! who needs a dive buddy! come on down and go out with one of the numerous quality dive operators mentioned frequently on this board. you'll meet other divers here(by the time you add up boat rental fees, fuel, fills, possible gear rental, you might just as well make out diving off a commercial boat, and lets not forget the crews local knowledge in reference to sites, topside(frequent storms this time of year) and underwater conditons etc, that can often make or break a dive vacation). as an example: the difference of mooring buoy selection on molasses in the above mentioned trip report was crucial. where we moored the current was ripping(our group consist of strong swimmers and we dive the southern end often, look closely @ the octocorals/gorgonians/seafans in tim's photos, some are nearly horizontal!!) whereas the commercial operators moored further north(over 30 mooring balls @ molasses alone) where the current was much more managable and i'm sure the dives were more enjoyable for their patrons(many went further north to french reef and the bendwood to avoid the currents). just a thought,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom