A girls best friend and how to get him to stay on the boat (?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sly New Girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm having an unexpected problem with my dog. He'll stay on the boat when I'm free diving and come right back up. He won't stay when I scuba. We've been taking him out on the inflatables and trying to teach him to stay put and its not working at all. He'll wait a few minutes for me to come back up and then he bails even he's being held back by force in an attempt to teach him that he needs to wait. He gets really spooked and anxious.

Is anyone else taking along a dog that they've taught not to panic when you don't surface right away? If so, how did you teach him to wait? I'd really hate to have to leave him home whenever I go diving. :(

(I wouldn't tie him to the boat and leave him any more than I would roll up the windows on the truck and leave him so don't even suggest that)

Any other ideas?

621Ridge 2012.jpg

I'm having an unexpected problem with my dog. He'll stay on the boat when I'm free diving and come right back up. He won't stay when I scuba. We've been taking him out on the inflatables and trying to teach him to stay put and its not working at all.

He thinks you've drowned and is looking for you.

I'd leave him home when you go diving. It's kinder.

flots.

Perhaps a conditioning period in which you start by scuba diving for the same length of time as your free dives, then do many dives of gradually increasing duration.

I agree with flots am. You may love your dog and want to bring him with you...but he thinks something has happened to you and is worried for you. It is kinder to just leave him at home, as well as I don't think you want to train him to stop worrying about you; that's a very good characteristic to find in a dog. Also, if its a hot day, with the fur and not being able to move...he could fry just sitting in the sun.

When you go diving, do it for you and your husband/BF and when you bring your dog with you then go out for him and let him swim around and retrieve stuff.

He is just doing his job of protecting you, and when you don't come up on scuba, he thinks you are in trouble. My only thought would be to have another person with you that could comfort him while you are diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom