A question for Europeans about EU light brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Tourist

Contributor
Reaction score
There are a lot of EU brands that don't have a lot of reviews on SB so I wanted to ask citizens of the Old Continent what they think about their local brands?

Which ones are respected which ones arent. Which to avoid. Views on build quality and just overall thoughts.

I know the following brands:

Ammonite
Seaya
Scaleo
Then there was a Swedish company I think? Forgot the name..
Gralmarine

I am sure there are more I missed.

For discussion purposes, I think it is best to always mention which brand provides constant output lights and which doesnt.

Then there was a Swedish company I think? Forgot the name..
That'd be Nanight, probably.

I have Nanight and Gralmarine canister lights; the Nanight is cheaper and feels cheaper, though decent value for money I think. I'd probably go with another brand if I redid that purchase, like Orcatorch. The Gralmarine is more expensive and much sturdier, and I think they have a good reputation. I've heard positive things about Ammonite but no personal experience. I believe Seaya and Scaleo are more budget friendly offerings but, again, no personal experience.

As an American I'm going to loudly barge into this discussion for Europeans to add that Nanight makes GREAT lights, and actually manufactures them in Europe. I'm really really happy with mine. Orcatorch is Chinese, and second to Nanight in both design and build quality.

I would also add greenforce to the list or random european light mfgs, I don't know much about them.

You can probably also add Kowalski and Keldan, the latter made in Switzerland and well known in video making circles.

There used to be (maybe still is) Greenforce, at the time they were simply the best torch you could buy, (easy to spot with their bright green umbilicals) they cost a fair few quid (uk dollars) but we’re well thought of, I think metalsub are still on the go, they were excellent torches although by modern standards very heavy, I believe (stand to be corrected) they didn’t embrace the Li-ion technology as early as some so the battery weight / size compared to say one of the “new kid’s on the block” at the time ammonites were quite a difference,
All the models of the above torches I had were umbilical btw.

I’m a fairly serious diver and now I’m firmly in the Ammonite camp, in fact I use the accu-thermo types as I have a heated suit and gloves to power also, I can simply change batteries underwater so a game changer in keeping warm, but the light heads they provide are really quite something, my back up torches are Orca torch, (D 550 single Li-ion batteried comparable to AA) they burn for 5hrs each and not bad at all, perfect for backup and fit well on a helmet when Wrecking.

So Ammonite or Orca torch (Chinese fair enough) for me.
As an after point I should point out I did have a problem with an early Ammonite, it was sent back to Poland and a week later I received a personal call from one of the top guys there that was extremely apologetic and promised it sorted and returned after testing,, true to his word never had a problem since,, so 👍👍👍 from me, and huge amounts of usable light.

There have been a run of others like Apeks, scubapro etc but probably all out of the same Chinese factory…

Also add Scurion for the cavers. Buy through dealers (also in the US).

Excellent caving lights, work well in dry or wet, and deep if using the Scurion Dive

Anchor Dive Lights in Donegal, Ireland (great diving area!). Odd product naming, but reliable.

I have a "189" torch: literally every beam: spot, wide cool, wide warm, red, blue/uv.

Ammonite are great quality kit. I've a couple of their backup lights that have done many many hundreds of dives and they "just work" every time.

If I was in the market for a new umbilical, Ammonite would definitely be in the running. Their other kit is great too, very well made. Will almost certainly get one of their drysuit inflator / suit heater cable connectors.

It’s also AMMONITE for me. I have both thermal and regular batteries, 2 heads (Nautilus and Speleo), backup lights. Everything is very high quality, works likes a charm. Caves, wrecks - perfect in every conditions. My cave instructor is a fan of GRALMarine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom