A return to Egypt...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking about a return visit to Egypt later this year and doing a liveaboard. After visiting the country on a regular basis for many years, I haven't been for over a decade due to various reasons. Is it business as usual? I need to fly to Cairo and get an internal flight to Hurghada. Has anyone done this? Any tips? Thank you.

Pretty much business as usual. I fly Emirates doing Melbourne to Cairo via Dubai, you can book a connection to Hurghada from Cairo on the same ticket when booking on the Emirates website but you have to clear customs and change terminals for this, my preference is to overnight in Cairo and then get a GoBus to Hurghada the next day - the new motorway is really good.

You can get a 30 day visa online before you go which does help when you arrive in Cairo. There is Uber in both Cairo and Hurghada now too. You do have to send a copy of your passport over to the liveaboard a few weeks before you go, and there is a bit of pfaffing about with the coast guard etc. when the liveaboard is departing - everyone has to line up with their passport on the boat etc.

When are you looking at going?

Thanks for the reply RSD2. I'm looking at coming out in early July. My life is a bit complicated at the moment, so will be flying from Cyprus. The only option is Egypt Air. Is there much drama getting between terminals and how long does it take? Cheers.

LOL - sounds like my life at the moment too - I was supposed to be living in Egypt but I'm in Tasmania instead.

EgyptAir is pretty good to fly with, and often they have cheap business class flights as well - which can be well worth grabbing just for the extra baggage allowance.

You should be landing at T3, and most likely also departing from there for a Hurghada flight as almost all EgyptAir flights - both International and Domestic use T3. Occasionally a domestic flight will use T2 - its about a five minute walk - you just have to weave your way through the usual riffraff offering you a cheap hotel, a camel ride around their uncle's mosque etc.

Will be pretty warmish in July, but diving conditions should be pretty good.

When travelling to Egypt they are pretty paranoid about drones, sonar units etc at the moment so think carefully about what you are packing, other than that you will be fine.

Boarding flight to Cairo now. All batteries have been removed from electronic devices (mostly!). Which me luck. See you in Hurghada inshallah!

Maa esalama, with God's safety inshAllah

Boarding flight to Cairo now. All batteries have been removed from electronic devices (mostly!). Which me luck. See you in Hurghada inshallah!
Flying from most airports it’s advised to have working electrical devices (batteries installed) or they could be confiscated as suspect items.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom