A week in Loreto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm headed to Loreto for ten days starting at the end of July. It's interesting that a two tank boat dive there costs about the same as it does out of anywhere in Florida. The same thing in Cozumel is $45 less and even less expensive if you go with the same operator multiple days. It must be the lack of competition driving the prices.

I thought the diving out of Loreto was much better than Cozumel, unless, of course, you're addicted to 100 foot viz.

We have been to Loreto twice, first in mid-Aug 2011 with a large group from an LDS, and the second time in late October of 2012. Not much competition in town which contributes to the pricing structure. Baja down to Cabo is more expensive then many places in the Caribbean. We have been to Cozumel about 10 times. The diving in Coz is notch or two above Loreto, just my opinion. Loreto was very hot in August with a heat factor of 115+. I posted reviews for both trips.

I thought the diving out of Loreto was much better than Cozumel, unless, of course, you're addicted to 100 foot viz.

Comparing the diving in the Sea of Cortez to the diving in Cozumel is apples and oranges in my opinion. The only similarity is that you are "diving" in both locations. Both have excellent diving though.

Last edited:
Lynne... I'm not sure I'd want to be diving with them while fishing activity was going on, but a few years ago Kyaa had snorkelers and divers in the water with them here off Catalina and we do get them inshore on occasion in our waters.

I worked on an eco-cruise ship (Lindblad Expeditions/National Geographic) for several winters based out of La Paz. We dove the islands as far north as the Loreto area. Some day I plan to go back with am HD video camera instead of the SD one I was using then to record footage and show it to our passengers.

Were you not nervous about diving with the Humboldt Squid? They're up there with Great Whites on the list of things I'm not sure I want to see in the water . . .

Lynn, Can you elaborate on Coz vs Cabo? I am considering following up this year's Coz trips with a first diving trip to Cabo. How do you get to Loreto, fly to Cabo San Lucas and take a bus or taxi (or rental car)?

Fishdiver - We fly to LAX on Southwest from Sacto and then a 2.5 hour flight from LAX on Alaska Air into the airport in Loreto. Easy. Last time we departed Sacto at 6 am and arrived Loreto at 1:30, which is 1 hr ahead in the Summer.

Thinking about a trip to Loreto Xmas week - any comments as to diving conditions? Whale shark encounters?

Check the water temps during Xmas week. It really cools heading into the winter and will likely be 68-70 degs F. This compared to 84-86 in Aug - Sept.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom