Absolute pressure and IPhone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used my watershot for my iphone 5 for 12 dives in grand cayman last week down to about 80 feet. Took photo and lots of video. Good quality, small, easy to use.

I'll try to upload a video or teo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

1. Anyone even casually into u/w photography knows that it's a matter of when, not if, your housing floods. Consider that.
2. If you insist on taking your phone underwater, make sure you have insurance that covers water damage. I sure wouldn't tell the insurance people that you're diving with it.
3. A combination of experience and other people's sad stories have convinced me that any case will fail over time. See point #1.

I used to take my phones diving inside my drysuit, but I would not consider taking a phone down inside any kind of case. Given the situation you are describing I think you'd be much better off simply memorizing a phone # or two. You can flag down a passerby and borrow a phone if needed.

1. Anyone even casually into u/w photography knows that it's a matter of when, not if, your housing floods. Consider that.
2. If you insist on taking your phone underwater, make sure you have insurance that covers water damage. I sure wouldn't tell the insurance people that you're diving with it.
3. A combination of experience and other people's sad stories have convinced me that any case will fail over time. See point #1.

I used to take my phones diving inside my drysuit, but I would not consider taking a phone down inside any kind of case. Given the situation you are describing I think you'd be much better off simply memorizing a phone # or two. You can flag down a passerby and borrow a phone if needed.

The Watershot Pro is the one I have. It is rated to 179 ft. I've never had any housing flood on me, including my Canon housing that I've had since 2007. Grease your o-rings and you'll be fine.

Worse case scenario, you get a shiny new iphone 5s (comes out soon).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Lopez, I'm considering the watershot. It seems too good to be true! Did you say you like the quality of the photos and video? Can you tell me any more?

It is great for what it is. If you want professional quality, it obviously won't do. But, it's certainly in the same class as the GoPro. IMO it's easier than the GoPro as well. You don't need to buy an additional LCD screen to view the video/photo as you're taking it, you can edit right on the device, you can upload/share/post to facebook all wirelessly right after the dive.

The "pro" model (which I have) can be mounted on a tray if you want to add a video light to it. It comes standard with a wide angle lens and macro lens. They now have red and magenta filters as well.

I have a Canon G10 with Sea & Sea 110a strobes. The biggest draw for me is that I don't need to bring additional luggage just for camera gear and it's less things I have to worry about losing/getting stolen.

Here's a video I took without any sort of editing or lighting.

[video=youtube;LBFGA9DIUPA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBFGA9DIUPA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

...... IMO it's easier than the GoPro as well. You don't need to buy an additional LCD screen to view the video/photo as you're taking it, you can edit right on the device, you can upload/share/post to facebook all wirelessly right after the dive.....
... and it creates a log of your dive and can also create a gallery timeline of your images as you take them and time / depht stamp them too.

[video=youtube;Z92485RTllA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z92485RTllA[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom