"Academic smarts are not the same as peace smarts"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
I fail to see the logic here? Are you suggesting that an atheist cannot develop an inner sense of values that include dedication to certain precepts like good will to others? If so, I think you are absolutely wrong on that. Atheists are quite capable of commitment to higher purposes... they just do so out of an inner conviction unaffected by their belief (or rather lack of it) in a higher power.

Inner peace is quite achievable by those without religious beliefs if they follow your guideline of accepting the world as it is.

I meant an atheist who is dedicated to the concept of atheism is...confused. Once you step outside of the whole 'belief in god' systematology, arguing the non-existence of god is like arguing the non-existence of Santa Claus. An atheist can be dedicated to good works, moral living, truth, honesty, the boy scout code or whatever; just not dedicated to atheism. Hopefully his/her dedication is to a rationally devised moral code, rather than a prescribed set of does and don'ts, although we all tend to have moral blind spots.

I'd say more, but I don't want to sound like a dedicated atheist.

I really have nothing to add to this thread but did any of you see the article recently about some Italian guy who sued the church? He was saying that they have been lying to the world this whole time about the existence of Christ. Judge threw the case out. When asked if he would be tried for slander he said he hopes so. Because for him to commit slander the church would have to prove Christ existed. Win win for him.

As an aside...........

What does a dyslexic atheist insomniac do? Stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog.

Sorry. Couldnt help it.

dpbishop:
I meant an atheist who is dedicated to the concept of atheism is...confused. Once you step outside of the whole 'belief in god' systematology, arguing the non-existence of god is like arguing the non-existence of Santa Claus. An atheist can be dedicated to good works, moral living, truth, honesty, the boy scout code or whatever; just not dedicated to atheism. Hopefully his/her dedication is to a rationally devised moral code, rather than a prescribed set of does and don'ts, although we all tend to have moral blind spots.

I'd say more, but I don't want to sound like a dedicated atheist.

Thanks, that clarified your point quite a bit.

I don't consider myself an atheist or an agnostic. However I am not a believer either. I guess that puts me in spiritual limbo! I do believe in something greater than "us" whether it be the Creative Force in the universe or something else. I can't really describe it, I just "see" evidence of it every day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom