Accidental saturation diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure it's one that's worth quite a few drinks over his lifetime...
And they could be some wild stories. Narcosis or not, if I had to sit in the dark trapped in an air pocket for 2 days or more (one story said 3 days) wondering, nothing to do or see - I think I'd go crazy and imagining things. The water off Nigeria may be warm for diving, but I'm sure he suffered some to temperature still.

One story said that one of the rescuers volunteered to stay with him in the chamber for his days of decompression, after he'd been alone below.

Even more amazing is that the "journalist" who wrote the story quoted someone as saying: "my sympathy is with the families who lost there love ones.”

That was spoken about the 10 people that died on the wreak.... :wink:

Jim...

That was spoken about the 10 people that died on the wreak.... :wink:

Jim...
I think maybe he was referencing the misspelling of "their" but the referenced journalist may well be Nigerian - where the official language is English, but their own dialects.

And they could be some wild stories. Narcosis or not, if I had to sit in the dark trapped in an air pocket for 2 days or more (one story said 3 days) wondering, nothing to do or see - I think I'd go crazy and imagining things. The water off Nigeria may be warm for diving, but I'm sure he suffered some to temperature still.

One story said that one of the rescuers volunteered to stay with him in the chamber for his days of decompression, after he'd been alone below.

You know, I could probably sit in the dark for a couple of days if I knew that light was coming, but I simply cannot imagine what one would feel in the actual situation, when there is no reason to expect anything but death. I wonder is there were rats to keep him company.

Assuming no rescue:

I wonder whether the falling O2 would allow the guy to pass out and die quietly, or the rising CO2 would cause his last breaths to be a panicked mess.

The boat sank in tropical waters. My computer usually says ~27º C (~81ºF), so I don't think exposure was a primary concern.

Either this guy has a great SAC or he was in a pretty big airspace.

You know I bypassed this one first time through, but SAC rate only matters in open circuit diving, not in rebreathers, which this was for all intents and purposes.

After his tug overturned in rough weather he found himself trapped at 30m in an air pocket. He was the only survivor of the incident.

The divers and support vessel did an incredible job rescuing him from the ship and getting him through his initial 2 hour decompression. The professionalism of the team, and the coolness of the sailor should be highly praised.

Miracle at Sea: Sailor Survives After Spending 2 Days Inside Sunken Ship | gCaptain ? Maritime & Offshore News

Nigerian sailor 'a phenomenon' for surviving in air pocket for 60 hours | World news | guardian.co.uk

This happened nearly two weeks ago and I can find no mention of it on Scuba Board as our scuba news section is industry advertising and not news.
Did there used to be a news section?

Nic

---------- Post added June 13th, 2013 at 05:37 AM ----------

My bad, I see that Captain posted about it in 'Basic Scuba Discussions'
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/457022-accidental-saturation-diver.html
Nothing in the Africa boards,
We really should have a News Board.

Nic

The boat sank in tropical waters. My computer usually says ~27º C (~81ºF), so I don't think exposure was a primary concern.
He was in his underwear, coming out of a toilet actually. 81F air is warm but water will suck your heat. I bet he was chilled after 60 hours. Ok here are some excerpts from Ship?s Cook Found Alive in Sunken Tug Boat off the Nigerian Coast
I was so hungry but mostly so, so thirsty. The salt water took the skin off my tongue.”
Okene quickly gave up trying to reach the exit, when he was suddenly swept away down a passage by the surging water. He was swept into the toilet of an officers cabin as the vessel crashed into the seabed.

He clung on to the washbasin in order to keep his head above the water, until, about a day later, he built up the courage to try and open the door into the cabin. Here he found more air, and worked at ripping off wall panels to try and form a makeshift raft to keep him out of the freezing water.

“I was very, very cold and it was black. I couldn't see anything. But I could perceive the dead bodies of my crew were nearby. I could smell them. The fish came in and began eating the bodies. I could hear the sound. It was horror."

In the afternoon of the 28th May, Okene said that he “heard a sound of a hammer hitting the vessel. Boom, boom, boom. I swam down and found a water dispenser. I pulled the water filter and I hammered the side of the vessel hoping someone would hear me. Then the diver must have heard a sound.”

Divers forced their way into the ship, and Okene saw the light from their head torches in the passage next to his room. He swam out into the water and tapped the diver. “I was waving my hands and he was shocked.”

The divers gave Okene a suit, helmet, and mask and after spending more than 60 hours in the cold, dark waters trapped under the ship he finally reached the surface.

I think another story said he spent 2 days in the chamber and one of the rescuers volunteered to stay with him after he'd been alone & trapped so long.

This is pretty amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom