Accomodating inabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, one of my biggest humiliations in diving is that I have to tell my buddy to stay nearby during the exit, because I frequently need a little help with my balance climbing out of the water. I'm not sure if that's age-related or not, though.

The first time I dove doubles (HP 100s) with two 40 cu.ft. deco bottles off a boat, I did like the big boys got back on board with all my gear still in place. As a smallish female whose gear outweighed her, it took every ounce of strength I had left.

Second dive in the same gear, I removed the deco bottles and handed them up before going up the ladder. It made the climb a lot easier, but I didn't particularly enjoy getting slammed into the ladder by wave action at the surface.

Now we hang a rope with a metal ring on the end over the side of the boat at 10-15'. Moving from the mooring line toward the ladder after the last deco stop, I just swim by, doff my deco bottles and clip them to the ring. Makes a big difference!

Also, developing osteoarthritis and weakness in my hands make it increasingly difficult to carry cylinders. Unless I'm setting up for class and have to move lots of cylinders quickly (feel it for days!), I find it more comfortable to carry them one at a time, cradled in both arms. If I have to move doubles more than a few feet, I now either wear them or use a dolly.

I have to get closer to hear and start sooner to get ready. Zipping the wet suit is a major consideration for diving solo.

I used to be able to zip my own wet suit. I just can't do it now. There's just not that much flexibility anymore. My dry suits are both front zip so that makes things easier.

I also have gone from back mounted doubles to side mount because of bad knees and ankles. It's just too hard to walk to the water with all that weight on my back, and even harder to get out of the water. Sidemount makes it so much easier.

I often joke that when I'm older and having to use a land scooter to get to the water, I'm going to pay to have a motorized seat installed at the Peacock I steps so I can get lowered to the water and raised back up to the boardwalk! :D

Stamina? That’s a bugbear. My work is more physical than any woman my age, in her right mind, would choose to do, so I’m very strong. Only the one (severely abused) knee has lost flexibility and it can’t do any cardio. I really miss that. Diving is in its way an accommodation in itself. It is the one exercise activity I can sustain with this knee.

My Mom always said; “Just suffer; you’re not going to die.” Finally I’ve realized, I don’t always have to just suffer, so looking for gear that accommodates me. Not give up looking and just figuring it’s all the same.
For example I don’t have Man Hands and a real high pain tolerance. Turns out my lifetime of thumb abuse (had Gamekeepers Thumb for years running at times) could not bear to get even into half the wetsuit sleeves I’ve tried and very painful thru the wrist other half – except one and is no problem. If my thumbs are bad, can I still pull this boot on?

My reflexes are still great but no longer light on my feet with a very old knee. So with a tank, have a very limited window to regain balance. On our wet lava slick as snot or a pitching boat deck, it won’t take much for that tank to pull me down.
Hasn’t happened but I figure it would be pretty ugly. That’s my biggest accommodation, very careful to keep the tank under my ability to control it when walking in those situations, small steps, each secure before the next.

I look ahead and plan my path. Watch the waves a bit and work out where I can best put each foot down, the trickier ones involve mental rehearsal of every move. There is one entrance that can be close to a run, with fins and Giant Leap timing to keep from dropping onto rocks and slammed into wall. For that one I even work out the potential Oops! plan. (Ready to full steam ahead and Launch in, and which way has the best chance to keep my head getting smacked. (Figuring a poorly executed entrance is better than getting hauled out with a broken hip or unconscious.)
Where is the best place to wait for less wave pull? How much time do I have to get from A to B before a wave and can I do it? Shall I start with Left or Right? Are there any hand holds to keep from getting my feet washed out from under me and what am I going to do after the last hand hold? No hesitation to butt scoot on the lava either.
Stop being obstinate (independence) and don’t chance getting stuck in-between rocks unable to move forward or back or brace for a wave when the objective was to get the whole distance covered in the outgoing surf. Be realistic with my stride capability and ask for help on the chance I need it. (I can still hear the pitiful little wail; I’m stuck, followed with; Oh My God!:11:

It does kinda bug me that by my being cautious bothers people. The more cautious I get, the more they get worried, think I’m timid, unsure. So being mature :blinking: and not getting POed hearing it's ok, you'll be fine (if I didn't know that, I wouldn't be here, geesh!) is an accommodation I guess.:D

Cylinders I had to give up and carry one at a time, on a shoulder, knee can’t take the weight of one in each hand for long. Plus being short I have to hitch them up, and I’ve got short tanks. One in one hand is asking the slipped disk ancient history to go into spasm. Cradled; not good on level ground. That’s probably more of a size thing. I can carry a lot of weight, if it’s supported by my skeleton but cradled on rough ground? That was staring a face plant in the eye. :shakehead:

I guess that goes for carrying anything. Wearing a loaded tank is far better than carrying one. Of course anyone hauling anything of mine up a flight of stairs is the best.

Oh, and yeah, split fins.:D

I'm only 38, and thank god things are holding up fairly well.I do enjoy reading all of your stories and think that it is awesome that you are all diving despite your aches and pains. I hope that I will be able to dive for many years to come,no matter what life throws at me. Good diving to you all!

I'm only 38, and thank god things are holding up fairly well.I do enjoy reading all of your stories and think that it is awesome that you are all diving despite your aches and pains. I hope that I will be able to dive for many years to come,no matter what life throws at me. Good diving to you all!
Ahhh, 38, very good time. I knew then I was going to have to pay for all that being ridden hard and put up wet. Still no regrets, wouldn’t have missed anything I was doing to get this way.

Oh, I hear you about the balance thing. It was a bitter pill to swallow, to realize that I was just going to have to give up and ask for help on some of our exits. One site in particular is made up of small, round rocks which are very unstable underfoot. I cannot afford to fall; when I fall I break things. So I have done more than one exit holding the hand of my big, stable buddy, and feeling like somebody's three year old kid.

Now we hang a rope with a metal ring on the end over the side of the boat at 10-15'. Moving from the mooring line toward the ladder after the last deco stop, I just swim by, doff my deco bottles and clip them to the ring. Makes a big difference!

That's not an age accomodation, that's merely good sense.

Due to my neuropathic lower legs....I need to use hand crutches to get around. They actually act to an advantage. On rocking and pitching boats I'm more stable since I'm standing on 4 points. Beach dives are easier supporting me and the tank weight on 4 points. I also get better parking privileges and don't have to feed $ into parking meters since I have a disabled parking placard. Nice part is underwater my kicks are perfect. Developed a killer dolphin kick!

Oh yeah...another accommodation mono vision contacts to see my gages

Joe

Back
Top Bottom