adding a octopus (2nd stage)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rixx

Registered
Reaction score
Can a 2nd stage be added to all reg set ups? Where does the 2nd stage attach? Is modification, or parts needed? I never really noticed......

I have a chance to purchase a Mares Reg at a good price, but it's lacking a octopus.

THANKS!

Rixx

You have 2 second stages, the primary one and the spare usually referred to as an octopus. You simply remove a threaded plug from an unused low pressure port on the 1st stage and screw in another second stage or your inflator hose. You need to be careful not to cross thread it. If you are getting any of this from a shop they should do it for you.

Thanks for the info.

Rixx

yeah...

basically, remove one of the plugs on yoru first stage and screw the second stage hose in.

it needs to go into a low pressure port, but they are made so that you can't put the second stage hose into a high pressure port by mistake. so, if it doesn't work, just try again on a different port (they should be labeled HP and LP ... you want LP)

all you need is a wrench. tigthen to a solid lock, and then give it a small push to make sure. don't over-tighten

I am not sure what a good price might be on a Mares first stage. Buy the time you get it serviced add a second, octopus, inflation and instruments,,,,,,

The good deal would be if you had the 2nd's and could do the service yourself.

Might be better off looking for a good deal on new.

don O

If the Mares regulator hasn't been used for a while, you should get it checked out before using it. The reg tech that does the checkout or annual service can add the octo to your setup at that time.

As the others have said above, swapping out 2nd stages is pretty simple, but you might ask the shop to take a couple minutes and walk you through it. The experience might come in handy if you ever need to change out a 2nd stage or SPG in between dives when off at some divesite.

About the only things you can mess up are getting the thread crossthreaded, or breaking something by putting too much force on it. I find screwing the fitting on finger tight, then using the wrench to gently take another 1/8 or 1/4 turn or so is all it takes.

donooo:
I am not sure what a good price might be on a Mares first stage. Buy the time you get it serviced add a second, octopus, inflation and instruments,,,,,,

The good deal would be if you had the 2nd's and could do the service yourself.

Might be better off looking for a good deal on new.

don O

I bought it for 45.00, and a nice console came with it. Picked up a 2nd stage for 38.00. Now the service......

Also was offered a Seaquest primary, and secondary for 85.00. They are both brand new, never been in the water. The guy's had them since 1996...still in the box. Think they are worth it?

THANKS!

Rixx

of course their worth it. if the box is new go for it. the technology has changed a little but it'll work.

jesus christ, talk about deja vu

Back
Top Bottom