Adding D-Rings to Oceanic Biolite BCD shoulder straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theminidiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone!

Got myself the Oceanic Biolite BCD recently and it's been awesome.
But, I've been missing D-rings on both sides of the shoulder straps. There are some loops in the right shoulder, but aren't good for bolt snaps.

Anyone know if it's possible to add D-rings there? If it is, any tips or guidance on how to do that?

Thanks a lot!

1703541986838.png

When there is no other option or when sewing which I'm certainly geared up for, is just too much

377 024 (1).JPG

I cut them at the weld

012.JPG

voilà​

The biolite is not designed to add conventional D rings. Unless you are good with a sewing machine and are ok with taking it apart. It seems to be set up to use carabiners (suicide clips) to attach accessories. The best option, other than taking it back and getting a proper lightweight backplate and wing with a basic harness, is to use locking carabiners that can't be accidentally sprung open and trap a line or fishing net (resulting in entanglement and drowning).
While stainless would be preferred they are not cheap. Aluminum ones from a climbing or safety supply vendor would be the next best choice. Remembering that you need to be meticulous about rinsing and drying them so they don't freeze up.

Agree that a locking biner is the simplest solution. You can put shrink tubing over the connection area to mitigate any abrasion to the BC cloth as well as any "loosening" of the fastner. Once installed, I personally would just treat them the same as any other part of your BC as far as rinsing goes.

5TbXFk2.jpg

I attached small shackles to those loops. Work like d-rings, I clip accessories to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom