adhesive for patching bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogman

Reaction score
Does anybody know what type of adhesive is being used for patching up holes on the inner bladder of a wing type bc? I guess Aquaseal is used for the outer bag, but for the inner plastic bag I guess its different. Any ideas?

Sure you want to do this? If the patch fails, you may find yourself in an unpleasant situation...

That said, I've heard of people using bicycle inner tube patches - they're designed to remain flexible, to stretch and to form an airtight seal. Applied to the inside of the bladder, they seem to work okay on pinhole leaks. Rips or slashes are another thing, however, and should probably indicate time for a new bladder.

For myself, any hole in the bladder will always mean time to replace it.

Aquaseal would work well on pinhole as well. I would however inspect the whole bladder for general condition first before doing the repair as it may be time to replace it with a new one.

Back in the old days (70's and 80's) when it was common practice to use a polyethelene bladder inside a nylon wing or stab jacket it was well understood that sand and salt crystals could become trapped between the two and would seriously abrade the bladder in a relatively short period of time. That was the reason that every major BC manufacturer eventually went to single bag designs as they were both much easier to rinse and maintain and were not susceptible to the problem in the first place.

I have often thought about the wisdom and tradeoffs of using this techology on a modern BP/wing.

The double bag design does provide better puncture resistance to the inner bladder and it is certainly cheaper to replace the bladder than the whole wing. But the limitations of this design also increase the maintenence requirements and often mean the bladder will need to be replaced more often than would be the case with a single bag design.

rjchandler:
is there anyone who sells replacement bladders?

We sent Pearce's Seatec back to them to replace the bladder. It didn't cost nearly as much as a new one nor as much as we thought it would. And it's good as new now.

To me that would be preferable than to doing it yourself.

I have an Oxychec 'Signature wing' I am to understand the inner liner (bladder) is made of a Uerethane material. I have an abraded 'pinhole' (looks to have abraded on the zipper) I am unsure of what to use to patch it. I looks as Aquaseal would work just fine, just don't know about the bonding to the material?

Thanks,

tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom