Adhesives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the best adhesive to use for Delrin?
Is there an adhesive out there that will bond Delrin with Polycarbonate?

This is for a camera housing I'm working on. The camera tray and the handles are Delrin and the housing body is Polycarbonate.

MMMmm I've worked with Delrin aand PC, but never tried to adhesive bond them together. Both Polycarbonate and Acrylic solvent cement best with Methylene-Chloride.

Sorry can't help with Delrin, which is an acetal.

Mike D

Screws.

The official word seems to be that, while there are a few products that "might" work on acetal, there is nothing that will work with a reasonable expectation of reliablity.

A product called "cyanopoxy" allegedly glues delrin. I wouldn't trust it alone on an underwater fitting - use screws like Vance suggests to augment the bond and maintain the sealed integrity. For a camera housing, you'd be better off using polycarb and knowing that you were getting good bonds with your solvent adhesives.

hidiver1:
A product called "cyanopoxy" allegedly glues delrin.
Wow that's not cheap.

Do you think good old crazy glue would work?
I could drill into the piece I want to glue it onto so once glued it would actually be partially inserted into the other piece (pretty much a small peg glued into a hole). Also any stress would be from side to side.

I wouldn't trust it alone on an underwater fitting - use screws like Vance suggests to augment the bond and maintain the sealed integrity. For a camera housing, you'd be better off using polycarb and knowing that you were getting good bonds with your solvent adhesives.
Actually for the housing I am using Polycarb with Delrin handles screwed into it. The Delrin part I want to glue is an internal part that isn't load bearing.

grunzster:
Wow that's not cheap.

Do you think good old crazy glue would work?
Got this off a website somewhere a while back:

"Can 'super glue' or epoxy be used to bond...

The excellent chemical resistance of Delrin® also makes it quite immune to even the most advanced adhesive systems. Nothing really adheres to Delrin® well enough to be considered a bonding agent."

If you can peg the part in place and it's not load bearing, I wonder if Silicone Sealant would work. I have a tube of GE Silicone II sealant that I bought thinking I was going to need it to repair my housing, it's got their highest number on the adhesion scale for plastic(7), whatever that's worth. Got it at Home Depot.

I know some things that don't work. Several kinds of epoxy, hot melt glue, crazy glue, silicone, gorilla glue....

I was recomended to use a glue called Araldite. In the not cheap catagory too. Have not yet tried it. Estimate bond strength is low.

You can check online for indexes of adheasive applications, and estimnates of the bond strength etc. Delrin, Nylon and that family of plastics are hard to bond.

Back
Top Bottom