Review Adjustment screw for Halcyon Focus 2.0 with Explorer Handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

datth

Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area & Northern Virginia
# of dives
200 - 499
If you're like me and dislike the collapsible delrin handle on the Focus 2.0, the Thumb Screw Set for Light Monkey's hard goodman handle works just as well on Halcyon's metal Exploration Handle. They're the same thread size, I think 6-32. It makes the handle more collapsible for transport and adjustable anytime. The tiny phillips head screws that come with the handle is flimsy, easy to rust, and difficult to adjust without tools.

DRIS (Dive Right in Scuba) has it tax free and no shipping fees (if you buy enough) if you call them with part #10.301.004. That's where I got them from. You can add some copper anti-seize or something between the threads of the stainless steel screw and the aluminum handle to prevent galvanic corrosion so you can easily undo if necessary.

If you have a McMaster-Carr account, these should also work:
1) McMaster-Carr
2) McMaster-Carr
3) McMaster-Carr

Hope this is useful.

IMG_6327.JPG

I’ve had those style thumb screws come loose on my light monkey lights way more often than I’ve had the Philips come loose on the focus.

On the other hand, I have had the Phillips ones come loose on my Focus a few times, very annoying under water. Even if the thumb screws loosened, the fact that I can hand retighten them underwater makes them better.

I’ve had those style thumb screws come loose on my light monkey lights way more often than I’ve had the Philips come loose on the focus.

If you add a very thin washer like I did (look at the above picture) and/or use Loctite blue threadlocker, it won't come lose at all. Even if it does, you can easily tighten by hand.

On the other hand, I have had the Phillips ones come loose on my Focus a few times, very annoying under water. Even if the thumb screws loosened, the fact that I can hand retighten them underwater makes them better.
Loctite + screw driver and they don’t come loose versus having to tighten them underwater a few times a dive…

If you add a very thin washer like I did (look at the above picture) and/or use Loctite blue threadlocker, it won't come lose at all. Even if it does, you can easily tighten by hand.
Putting thread lock kinda defeats then purpose of trying to make it easier to adjust. I used a bit of Teflon tape for a while and that helped

Back
Top Bottom